Lifting point for a 125hp to remove

kj2008

Cadet
I`m ready to remove the motor to put new stringers and transom and there is no lifting lug on the motor. I have a manual, but it is no help. This motor runs like a sewing machine so I don`t want to add to this project. I really would like to get this off this weekend if possible, but I`m not in so much of a hurry as to risk breaking anythig. :confused:

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Lifting point for a 125hp to remove

The pro's use a lifting attachment that screws into the top of the flywheel, basicly a big eyebolt and a hoist to lift the engine. Good Luck!

kj2008

Cadet

I`m pretty good w/fabrication. I looked at the top of the flywheel, but again I didn`t want to break anything. Wonder if I could bolt a angle clip to the top of the flywheel stud, or would the flywheel have to be removed to keep from damaging?

Bigprairie1

Commander

The pro's use a lifting attachment that screws into the top of the flywheel, basicly a big eyebolt and a hoist to lift the engine. Good Luck!

This is absolutely correct according to the rigging and installation manual I have and what it shows and states. They make reference to tool no. T8933 for motor sizes 50-150hp. All it appears to be is a lifting eye securely threaded onto the flywheel nut.
Go for it.:)
BP

kj2008

Cadet

Thanks gentlemen, If it were not for the internet and guys like you this project would never have been able to happen for me. I have found soo much help in so many areas of this rebuild, couldn`t do without eveyone. I`ve been around boats all my life, but this is my fisrt time to attempt a rebuild. It wasn`t by choice though, previous owner did so much to cover it up he probably could have afforded to have done it right. I definately know what to look for now, things I would have never thought of. Ah well, live and learn. Thanks again!

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wrapped the threads of the shaft to prevent damage, then found a small anchor shackle that just fit around the shaft, then put a big washer on the shaft and replaced the flywheel nut. I also made a small loop of cable that went through the shackle so I had something to clip to my lifting device.

just google "anchor shackle" if you aren't sure what that is.

I lifted my powerhead off with my arms and a stepladder, never again!!!, that's why I rigged this up. I have seen some eyes that thread on the shaft listed on ebay, but you have to make sure they will fit the threads.

Attachments

• ls.jpg
    ls.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1

kj2008

Cadet

Thanks guys, I`ve been doing rigging/installation of variuous equipment for 25yrs. Just needed a refference point to grab her. Anyone have an Idea how much this motor weighs, not really important for the pull. The hoist I`m using will hold the wieght of the boat. I`m just curious, for transom reasons.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I`ve been doing rigging/installation of variuous equipment for 25yrs. Just needed a refference point to grab her. Anyone have an Idea how much this motor weighs, not really important for the pull. The hoist I`m using will hold the wieght of the boat. I`m just curious, for transom reasons.

Straight out of my 1986 Force 125 owners manual: Total Motor weight = 300lbs

maxum247

Lieutenant

20" leg (short shaft) 300 lbs.
25" leg (Long shaft) 307 lbs.

Bigprairie1

Commander

My Force operators manual shows the (1990) 120hp (4 cyl.) weighing in as follows:
20" shaft: 300 lbs
25" shaft: 307 lbs
BP

kj2008

Cadet

Sorry I did mot answer you guys, but at thet time you guys gave me all the information I needed. So I took it and ran with it, Mission accomplished I might add. Motor off and the motor stand worked like a charm, the info on the weight helped me feel confident the stand would be sufficient. Thanks eveyone. So now it`s on to the rebuild, that`s a little more complicated. Thanks again!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Good Luck with the rebuild! max!

kj2008

Cadet

Whats the best tol/disc to remove the paint or what ever that white stuff with the blue streaks in the bottom and stern of the boat.