Lowrance Depth reading is Messed Up

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Lowrance chart plotter and the depth will work one minute and the next it will flash with 0.0 or some crazy high number. I constantly have to shut it off and turn it on and usually that fixes it for a few minutes. Even when it flashes, I can often use the lake bottom to determine the depth, but not all the time. I am clueless on what it can be. I am assuming I need a new transducer but wanted to see what you guys thought before I take on this project. Could my battery power have something to do with this (had a few slow starts lately)?

watermellonI

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lowrance Depth reading is Messed Up

Not sure what model yur workin with, but lowrance is very helpful on the phone, yea it takes a little to get through but they would be able to tell ya for sure. You can also download a Manual and updates from their website.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Lowrance Depth reading is Messed Up

I agree with above, call Lowrance but a few things you can check.

What usually causes this in the unit is not getting a return echo so it not sure how deep it is. To warn you it not accurate it flashes Zero.

To start with check the dransducer. if it on the transom is the unit kick up where it not pointing straight down? Is the transducer loose? See if you can lift it up easy. If the mount is loose the water can push it up as you start to go and you will get no returns. Is there any growth on the transducer or on the hull if front of the transducer that could caus air bubbles? Is the cable clean and tight. Is the battery charge and supplying 12.6 volts or more.

If it is a shoot thru hull has the transducer glue came loose where trqansducer can get air under it.

The transducer crystals them selfs can crack and become flakey. No way to check that short of trying another transducer.

Bodega Bay Weather on May 2 08 Improving Launch but watch the weather.
Winds NW 310 degrees true at 25.3 knots with gust to 29.2 knots
Seas 6.2 feet with swells every 16 sec and chop every 4.6 sec, Sea Temp 49.1 degrees.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46013