9.9 Running To Hot?

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
I'm wondering if my 9.9 Johnson is running too hot. The pee hole is blowing water fine with high pressure, but the water coming out of the single hole below the rear of the power head below the cowling seems hot. It's not so hot that I can't keep my hand under it, but seems hotter than it should be. Can anyone tell me how hot water from that port can get?
Nightstalker

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 9.9 Running To Hot?

You're not by chance running in a barrel are you?

The water will get hot, but a better indication of overheating will be the head temp. Will water sizzle when you splash it on the head? Can you hold your hand there for a 1, 2, 3... count? Better yet, do you have access to an infrared thermometer?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

And when did you last service your cooling system?

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Nightstalker
The water will get hot, but a better indication of overheating will be the head temp. Will water sizzle when you splash it on the head? Can you hold your hand there for a 1, 2, 3... count? Better yet, do you have access to an infrared thermometer?

No, she's not running in a barrel. Water doesn't sizzle on the head. I can hold my hand on the head for more than 3 seconds easily. I don't have access to an infrared thermomether.
Thanks,
Nightstalker

PW2

Commander

You're fine.

You can hold your hand for a few seconds or longer on something up to 140 deg F

You can't on something 150 deg F or higher.

It's an old industrial trick when checking motor bearing Temps. You don't always have a pyrometer handy, but you almost always have access to your hand!

deadduk

Cadet

I am having a very similar problem. My 9.9 4 stroke will run for 20 minutes then cough really bad and shut off. I just had a guy pu in a new water pump and head gasket in the motor. That cost me $300. I am really frustrated with this motor. It seems to get hot enough that you cannot even put you hand on it for 2 seconds. At the present time there is not a thermostat in it. Any advice would be great, I'm about to throw the thing away!

Xcusme

Commander

Deadduc,

It would be better if you started your own thread instead of hijacking this one. I'm sure you'll get more responses too!