is this worth it

boatguy19

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello all, a semi friend of mine has a 1981 17ft sea ray for sale that he is selling for his brother in law, i saw the boat today and there is not even one single ding on the hull any where at all not even faded. the inside needs to be cleaned, no torn vinyl anywhere,it has carpet and even thats good. now for the important stuff it has a rebuilt 120 motor 4 cyl which i heard it run purrs like a kitten,has a new battery,bimini top all gauges work. the deck is solid as a rock no soft spots anywhere at all. this is what it needs new trim senders, ujoint bellows, exhaust bellows, the bellows look all right but its just some thing i would want to replace for peace of mind. the wires on the senders are rotted off, the steering is froze but i already know what the problem is easy fix. the trailer is galvanized looks new but isnt has brand new tires on it. idont know anything about the 120 motor whether they are good or not i have another boat but it has big blocks in it. also working on boats is not a problem for me at all. just want this one to get around in, forgot he will sell it to me for $650.00 if i want it, i dont have pictures as my camera is broken. sorry for such a long post,thanks in advance

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: is this worth it

the boat is junk......dont buy it.....run from it......

by the way...$650?.....can you pm me the address of the boat and your brother in laws phone number, does he accept pay pal?....and can he arrange to have it shipped to me in canada?.....how quickly can he have it shipped?....does he want me to give him a certified cheque?......:D

buy it, buy it as fast as you can ;)

cheers
oops

boatguy19

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i only ran into this buy luck, i need another boat like i need another a$# hole but i want it and i figured for that price really what can i lose, if anything i could part it out.

jcsercsa

Captain

NO dont listen to oops he all wrong , but hes right about dont buy it !!! What your brother inlaw name ?? I can give him cash !!!! lol man take it that 4 cyl well be great on gas !! tow that thing home tonight before it gone !!! John

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it will be a nice day cruiser, but underpowered for water sports. but good boat and motor.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know about the watersports thing. It will pull a tube and a single skier just fine if it has the right prop. Not as well as say a Supra with 330 HP, but it will work.​

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

A 17 foot boat in the shape you describe is worth $650. If the motor has just been rebuilt, it is worth $650 - especially if there is a transferable warranty. A trailer for a boat this size with no significant rust and new tires is worth $650.

I say buy it and decide what you want to do with it later.

boatguy19

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well its sat mourning 9:00 oclock and the guy just delivered it, love the boat im not using it to ski or tube just to get around in. i live on the chesapeake right on the water, its just to cruise around in soon as i get another camera i'll take pictures and post them thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner

good 4 u......

if you want ...you can keep it....you can sell it for more....or you can part it out........

thats a win win win situation

Coors

Captain

I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay, with that boat, stay close to shore.
The big waves happen in a wink of an eye.