rookie question

crawdad

Recruit
Sorry for the rookie questions. I purchased some carb cleaner yesterday I just wanted to make sure that I spraying it into the right air valve. On the picture below is the red arrow the correct location for carb cleaner?

On the yellow arrow, is that the chock? If so is open to the right or left?

Thanks

motor2.JPG

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer
Re: rookie question

hello,
welcome to iboats. lots of good info here. :)

ur engine looks clean. how does it run? if it was mine, and it ran good, i would not spray any carb cleaner thru it...

regards
lakester :cool:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Carb cleaner is only useful on an outboard if the carbs are off and apart. Simply spraying it on the carb or in any opening will accomplish nothing and could actually harm the motor...
- Scott

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The red lever is the manual/auto "primer" system. That lever is part of the primer solenoid. The solenoid is actuated when you push in on the key during cold starts. Should the battery die and you have to rope start the engine, you turn the red lever to its manual position, squeeze the primer bulb to prime the engine, and then pull the cord. Turn the lever back to AUTO after the engine starts. Spraying carb cleaner through the carb throat cleans only the carb throat which is almost NEVER where a carb problem exists. you would be well advised to run a product a like SeaFoam or any of the other fuel system conditioners in the fuel instead of simply spraying stuff into the carb (except when a decarb is necessary).

crawdad

Recruit

I was going to use the carb cleaner because my motor starts fine, but after about two minutes it idles down and cuts off. In order to start it back up I need to squeeze the prime buld a few times again. I though maybe the carb was gummed up. Now I'm glad I asked.. I guess I'll have to take the carb's apart and clean.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

I was going to use the carb cleaner because my motor starts fine, but after about two minutes it idles down and cuts off. In order to start it back up I need to squeeze the prime buld a few times again. I though maybe the carb was gummed up. Now I'm glad I asked.. I guess I'll have to take the carb's apart and clean.

hello,
what yr, make and size is it? some may know, but not me. :confused:

did it ever idle correctly, perhaps like last time out? or last year? does it do it in neutral, too?

regards
lakester :cool:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that the carb cleaner back. total and complete waste of money, the reason your motor quits, is the needle valve is sticking, not allow more fuel in, unless you force it by pumping the bulb. carb kit, and clean the carbs, according to the directions
the red lever needs to be in the correct postion, could also be flooding the motor where it is.

should be like this picture

Attachments

• primer solenoid.jpg
    primer solenoid.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0

crawdad

Recruit

After looking at the primer switch it look's like I had it in manual not auto. When I get off of work I'll put it in the correct position and try running it again.

I really appreciate all the help. The local boat shops wanted $100 just to look at it.

Thanks again.

Reggie08

Petty Officer 1st Class

that the carb cleaner back. total and complete waste of money, the reason your motor quits, is the needle valve is sticking, not allow more fuel in, unless you force it by pumping the bulb. carb kit, and clean the carbs, according to the directions
the red lever needs to be in the correct postion, could also be flooding the motor where it is.

should be like this picture

Not trying to hijack the thread but...

Tashasdaddy,
Is the mounting position for the primer solenoid the same for all years/sizes of Evinrude's? Just installed mine last night but I put the red lever on the top. Just wanted to make sure before moving on to the next step.