Replacing a blower

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, my blower is not working on my 1999 Sea Ray 190 Bowrider w/5.0L Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen. 2. Come to find that it was a blown fuse, but when I replaced the fuse (7.5 amp), it blew again almost instantly. After sifting through past posts on this forum, I've come to think that I probably have a broken blower, but am not sure. I was wondering if I could get some advice. Is there any way to test this? What else could be blowing the fuse? It looks like it is a 4" in-line blower. Is there a preferred brand that I should replace it with, and what exactly am I looking for in a blower?
Also, and probably most importantly, the blower is mounted WAY back against the transom behind the motor. Does anybody know the easiest way to get to it for replacement - growing 1' longer arms really isn't an option. I think I may have to remove the aft bulkhead to get to it. Any advice is appreciated, especially from those who have had some experience with this on a Sea Ray (I'm not sure if blowers are located in different places on other makes).
Also, is there a way to safely vent the bilge before start-up before I can get it repaired? It is supposed to be nice this weekend and we don't get many days like this this time of year on the Oregon Coast.
Thanks,
Erik
1999 Sea Ray 190 Signature Bowrider

jarhead75

Cadet
Re: Replacing a blower

Not sure if this will help but just did some blower maintenance on my 06 bayliner last two day. Out of nowhere my blower stopped working. Light on the control worked in sequence with the switch, but blower would not come on. Fuse was fine. Checked the blower blades and they spun. Checked the hoses, and they were fine. Then I followed the wires from the blower to the problem. Somehow the connection (under blue shrink wrap) came undone...probably from vibration since its connected behind the motor on the aft bulkhead. Anyways I created a new connection and to my wifes amazement, it works fine now. I had to use a long screwdriver to get the blower off (it was only two screws though)

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

It does sound like the blower is burned out, and this is common. The way to test it is remove the wires from the blower and hit the switch. The fuse should not blow. If it does, there is a short, and the wires from the switch to the blower will need to be checked.

As for reaching it, you have to be a little creative. Boats are known for hiding things in spots that are hard to reach. Maybe hire a midget to get at it? :D

For venting, it will vent while underway. The way the vent is designed is air will be rammed into the area through the vent inlet hose and will work it's way out the vent outlet. The blower is really just for when you initally start it and run the engine at idle. You can open the hatch and carefully check for fumes prior to engine start. If it is clear, you should be fine. If there are fumes, let it air out for about 5-10 minutes. Go have fun this weekend, then get that blower fixed.​

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure where you are from but be aware that you may be violating federal coast guard rules by going out with a non-working blower, not to mention the safety aspect of it. Personally I would not be endangering my family or friends for the sake of a $30-$40 blower.

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fedreqs/equ_vent.htm

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure where you are from but be aware that you may be violating federal coast guard rules by going out with a non-working blower, not to mention the safety aspect of it. Personally I would not be endangering my family or friends for the sake of a $30-$40 blower.

Excellent point and advice taken, but it really wasn't about $30-$40 for the blower, it was just that I REALLY wanted to get on the water this weekend and I didn't think I would be able to get a replacement blower before tomorrow (probably a worse reason than the money now that I think about it). Anyway, situation resolved. I called my dealer and they told me they would either send me one, or I could come down and they would put it in for me, so looks like I am heading down there today. I guess buying from a good dealer really does have its rewards.
Thanks for all the info, and I will watch how they do it, and post it so anybody else with this problem can get a little help from me.
Thanks again,
Erik
'99 Sea Ray 190 BR

nlain

Commander

I have a 2004 Sea Ray 185 sport and the blower quit on it, I went to Boatersworld and got a new one, I raised the sunpad, layed on the frame side of the engine, reached back and removed the screws, take the back one out first, loosen the hose clamps, unplug wires, remove blower, use reverse procedure to install, I was 62 at the time so if I can I know you can. It should only take maybe an hour at the most.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I would remove the old one first before buying a new one. You may find that the bearing are just froze up and it very hard to turn. A little turning and some light weight oil like 3 in 1 may free it right up and be good as new. They usually get no maintenance but get all the moisture and dirt like everything. I would not use WD 40 but many probably would.

Bodega Bay Weather on May 2 08 Improving, Launch but watch the weather.
Winds NW 310 degrees true at 25.3 knots with gust to 29.2 knots
Seas 6.2 feet with swells every 16 sec and chop every 4.6 sec Sea Temp 49.1 degrees.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46013

oops!

Supreme Mariner

after testing it the way fixb52s suggested,
go buy your self a new blower. if you want to run it before the install, just hook it up "live" and thro it in the bilge till you mount it, "dont forget to un hook it when sitting for long periods. but re hook it before you start the engine

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fedreqs/equ_vent.htm

I guess I should bone up on this stuff. I have seen people run without blowers before as I suggested, but I didn't think that well with my answer. 2 wet noodle hits for me! :( Thanks for the common sense guys!

I agree with the posts above. Fix it first before going out.​

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, here is the situation. I took it to the dealer and they gave me no problems what so ever about replacing it at no charge. They initially thought it would be a 15 min. fix, but after looking at it, they needed to pull off the aft bulkhead in order to get to it. It took them about 1 hour to get it done - probably would have taken me about 3. I just don't understand why boat manufacturers put things in such hard-to-reach places, and when I voiced this, they told me, "just wait until your bilge pump goes out, you have to pull the motor". Oh, well, what can you do. Anyway, I was able to have the boat in the water at 8:30 this morning for a full day of fishing. Didn't do so well, out of 4 guys, we only caught 5 trout and 1 yellow perch, and my 1 rainbow trout was the smallest of the bunch, but what the h*ll, any day on the water is a good day. The boat ran great, blower worked perfectly and I was a happy man.
Erik
'99 Sea Ray 190 BR