Further info and question 2.3 Cobra water in oil

wecoyote

Cadet
Noticing that one of the riser bolts was missing I took it off. One bolt stripped out, one loose and going (both front short ones). Removed the riser, and no gasket. I filled exhaust at riser flange with water (yes the water jacket :D), and it held it for half an hour. Next day top it off ( a tablespoon missing ) and direct my cutting torch down the exhaust ports to warm it up. Water and exhaust warmed up. Water still staying there, and cranking it over does not spit water from the plug holes.

So. Maybe I'm getting lucky. This weekend, new timing belt plugs and wires. New gasket for the riser (why do people let their boats go to cr*p for a $7 gasket, and their floor along with it for a $50 tarp ) but I digress.

Obviously water would have gone into the exhaust from the riser joint, my question is this. The riser about 5 inches in is corroded through from one exhaust passage to the other, and not (that I can see) into a water passage. Should I leave it, or try and find this hard to find (new or used ) part?

Thanks to all, and be sure to drink Corona this weekend.

Coyote

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Further info and question 2.3 Cobra water in oil

I think others will agree,

If you have enough corrosion in the riser to have a hole, you will have problems sooner or later with water sitting on top of pistons.

I don't know how hard this part is to find. Here's one,

#49. I don't know if it's the right one or even if they actually have one in stock etc...I am of the opinion that if the manifold or riser is even questionable and several years old it should be replaced. They absolutely have a service life. (short in salt, longer in fresh water)

Good luck.

Rick

wecoyote

Cadet
Re: Further info and question 2.3 Cobra water in oil

I think others will agree,

If you have enough corrosion in the riser to have a hole, you will have problems sooner or later with water sitting on top of pistons.

I don't know how hard this part is to find. Here's one,

#49. I don't know if it's the right one or even if they actually have one in stock etc...I am of the opinion that if the manifold or riser is even questionable and several years old it should be replaced. They absolutely have a service life. (short in salt, longer in fresh water)

Good luck.

Rick

I called Doug Russell the other day as they were the only place that had manifolds, and was told they take orders, and when there are so many, the company casts them.

So no luck there. Local dealer called his source and was told they have a retrofit for $2000 KAAAAAACHINGGGGGGG.

I'm not opposed to to replacing it, it's just not possible at this time.

Coyote