welch plugs?

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer
1980 Mercury 80. Do the welch plugs absolutly have to be removed for the carbuerator to be cleaned properly? Clymer says to drill 1/8 holes and pry them out, but I don't like that idea and don't want to unless necessary.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: welch plugs?

Yes, there could be trash in there that you want to get out. If you are worried about going too far with the drill bit, put a small block of wood on it to limit the depth it can go down. I use a small awl tapped in at an angle then pop them out. They are made of very soft metal.

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

ok, but how do you put them back in? do you have to reseal the drill hole or do you just buy new ones? i looked and couldn't find new ones anywhere.

Laddies

Banned

You can not reuse them as you will see after prying them out. They come in a carb kit but we get them at a auto parts store without buying the gold plated carb kits.

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

ok ill check with napa
offhand ya know what dia they are?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I never removed the Welch plugs on my '77 Merc Sidebowl carbs. The brass plugs can be removed and all the passages cleaned out. The plugs can then be reinstalled. I seal them with silicone.