Any experience with used motor from iboats.com

mhz

Cadet
Hello. I am new to the forum, and signed on because I need to replace(repair?) a Suzuki DF40 which burnt up in a garage fire. Well everything external to the powerhead anyway. Actually, it was the SOURCE of the fire, somehow(short?), but thats another story.

Right now I am leaning towards buying a motor to get me going, and then slowly fixing up the burnt one when I can.

My question is, do you guys know whether this iBoats.com/BoatMotors.com site is reliable? I spoke to them on the phone, and I understand that they are brokering sales for dealers around the country. I asked the phone person to describe to me the process if I bought a used motor with a 30 day dealer warranty from another state, and then found a problem with it, and he made it sound reasonable, saying that I could go to a local dealer to get a repair estimate, fax it to iBoats, then they would deal with getting payment reimbursed from the dealer who warranted it.

They had 3 used (2001 model) Yamaha 100hp 4-strokes just yesterday, which were priced at a steal, but they said they sold already. I thought it was a too-good-to-be-true price, but he said it was just a lake marina in MN, who replaces his motors (rental?) every 6 years or so, and wants to move them quick.

Do you guys know whether this is a reliable warranty situation...can I trust this web site to deal fair and honestly when selling me a used motor?

Thank you for any of your thoughts on this issue.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Any experience with used motor from iboats.com

I have had several friends buy pre-owned outboards through iboats at very good prices.

I have heard zero negative feedback on these deals.

I know iboats' owners and there is nobody on earth I trust more.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I've no experience with any motor purchase from iboats, but my experience
of other purchases of goods from them has been good.

As for their credibility and reliability, they let you question that on this board,
so that speaks for itself. I've seen many complaints on the boards, but none
complaining about iboats.

mhz

Cadet

Thank you for that info. I will probably get a used 4 stroke, since my home lake is a drinking water lake (no body contact), and requires Oil injection or 4 stroke.

I have to ask because I got scr**wed on Ebay once years ago trying to buy a 15hp outboard that seemed like a good deal.

I have to say that the customer service person, Ryan, that I spoke to on the phone seemed very honest and helpful, and explained a lot about how the company gets the motors.

There are some great links here...I found a Suzuki parts diagram site with prices listed, and found that my burnt motor needs over $1000 just in cowlings! Actually, it only took a few parts (cowls,ECU,RemoteControl...) to surpass the cost of buying a new 40 hp 4-stroke engine. Amazing. I guess I'll be watching Ebay for the next year or so to see if any of them come available as used. But even then, they might be stolen property, so its a real mess.

Here is my damage. You might want to hide your eyes, this pic is pretty graphic:

Attachments

• DF40_Burnt.jpg
    DF40_Burnt.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

iboats warrants everything it sells. i too, have bought and sold many boats, motors, and accessories on ebay. i would not be afraid of an iboats motor.

Did you have insurance on the motor? what caused the fire, it would be good to know for other owners.

i think if it were mine, i might consider parting it out.

mhz

Cadet

Well the cause of the fire is a mystery. It was locked in the garage, trim angle was normal driving position, fuel tank was nearly full, battery power was left on. Normally I switch it off before I close the door, but this time I forgot. I can only assume that there was an electrical short somewhere which caused the fire. Note that the motor got tilted up at some point, cause when the fire dept pulled it out of the garage, it was in the up position. This happened automatically, at some point before or during the fire, and may be related to the cause.

The fire dept. investigator surveyed everything and said that the motor was the source of the fire. (it was kind of obvious...nothing else really got burnt).

I called Suzuki just to see what they would say about this situation; they just said to call them back with my engine ID#, so they could put it on file. I guess being a few years old, they don't really care whether it was a faulty component, or maybe they just think that I should have remembered to disconnect the battery.

I only had renters insurance, but not boat insurance, so there is no coverage. I may have to part it out, but I haven't decided my next steps for sure yet.

tashasdaddy

the heat could have cause the tilt fluid to expand, raising the motor.

BF

Lieutenant

My old '70 25 hp evinrude with electric start nearly burnt itself up. A bolt worked loose from one of the brackets that holds the recoil, and it fell across the +ve cable to the starter and arched to the casing. No damage from the outside, but the cable got hot enough to melt the insulation, and the fuel line that runs beside it. How it didn't burn, I don't know. I did run all the fuel out of it before loading it up, so the line would've been empty. Must have happened while trailering home at the end of last season, because the motor had been working fine on the last outing. (but definitely won't run with a melted fuel line)

So have a look around the starter for any missing bolts or evidence of arching.

mhz

Cadet

One thing I know for sure, don't mount your fire extinguisher near to the transom! I've heard that before, but after seeing the damage to the inside roof of my garage, with how much heat was generated, you wouldn't want to go near that thing when it's engulfed in flame.

We used to have all sorts of things sitting up in the rafters of the garage, from snow sleds to boogie boards, Christmas decorations, etc. but they're all gone now.

You should have seen the artificial Christmas tree! I wish I would have thought to take a picture of that. It was melted together, black, with the branches all rearranged wrong (pieces were in a large storage bag, in no particular order), kinda spooky looking, like the Grinch's Christmas tree or something. Everything that was in the rafters melted COMPLETELY. The sleds turned to liquid and dripped all over the stuff below, and so did some other things like fans, etc. Garage door opener, plus all electrical wiring...mostly liquified. What a mess.

Anyhow, I have quite an appreciation for how hot it must have been, so put your fire extinguisher far from the engine while on the water!