Mercury Outboard trouble going into gear

I recently purchased a 1975 85 hp Mercury outboard. When I started it it seemed fine. When I put it in the water it did not want to go into gear. It made a clicking sound at first but when I gave it a little more throtle it would finally slip into gear. I checkd the oil in the lower unit and it appeared to be low and had some water mixed in with it. Could this cause my problem or am I going to have to take it apart and inspect it?

MaggieRose

Seaman
Re: Mercury Outboard trouble going into gear

You have two seperate issues.

1978 ? Do you intend to put some money into this?

1. Water in the LU gear lube is NOT good. The LU should be dropped and then pressure and vacuum tested. You must find the leak and replace the leaky seal(s).

2. When the LU is opened for seal replacement, an inspection of the gears and hub is in order. Replace any faulty or excessively worn parts.

When putting the LU back on you must verify the F/N/R works by moving the throttle lever back and forward and checking that the prop will spin in neutral and will lock in forward and reverse. adjustments on your throttle linkage and idle speed may also be needed. PULL THE PLUG WIRES FIRST!

Shop manual is a must, wouldn't touch my own engine without one.

Good luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury Outboard trouble going into gear

You have a PM