Newbie question on 10hp 1962 Johnson

lil' turkey

Cadet
Hello -

I am new to this forum, and have gotten a lot of good info just by reading old posts. I just bought a 1962 10hp Johnson. Model number is QD-23r. Yesterday the guy had it in a barrel running and it ran very well. I bought it and drove it home. I put it on my boat and now it wont start. I don't know if it matters but I did have to lay it on its side when I took it home. It sounds like its getting compression. The other thing is that this has an external fuel tank. The one connector looks like it might need to be replaced. It hooks to two prongs. The spring that releases the line gets stuck - almost like a spring is broken. Also when I go to prime it i can squeeze the primer bulb once then it gets hard as a rock. I did make sure that the fuel flow was correct on the fuel line. Then when i pull the fuel line off od the motor the fuel just sprays out of the line. Is this a bad connector?
The last thing is the glass bowl is full of gas with what looks like alot of oil in it. Is that normal?

Sorry for being so long winded, I am just trying to be as descriptive as I can as this is the first outboard I have ever owned.

Thanks
Nick

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Newbie question on 10hp 1962 Johnson

pump bulb till hard, motor in neutral, throttle advance till it stops, pull out choke, now pull rope. if no start after 3 pulls, push choke in. no start after 3 more tries. check for spark. also there could have been some crud in the float bowl that broke loose when the motor was laying. but, other than that, it really does not hurt a motor to lay it down.

lil' turkey

Cadet

Thanks
I will try that when I get home. But should the fuel line spray fuel like that when I disconnect it?

Nick

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the hose has pressure on it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks
I will try that when I get home. But should the fuel line spray fuel like that when I disconnect it?

Nick

Sure. You mashed on the primer bulb and compressed all the rubber parts and any air that might be in the system. Unplug it and it is going to blow all that compressed stuff back at you.