question about overpower

chad lester

Cadet
Hello all purchased a 75 yar-craft 15 yankee last year it came with a Johnson v4 85hp. My ratting plate says 70hp max the transom is very solid and it turns great was just wondering if anyone could tell me what to watch for and if it is going to tear the old boat apart or not. Any input would be appreciated thank's Chad

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: question about overpower

Chad, the first thing is don't have an accident, that involves injure, or property damage. legally, your boat is considered overpower, thus unsafe. in reality, 15 hp over is not going to tear up the boat. just make sure that you do the proper maintenance.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Chad, the first thing is don't have an accident, that involves injure, or property damage. legally, your boat is considered overpower, thus unsafe. in reality, 15 hp over is not going to tear up the boat. just make sure that you do the proper maintenance.

I agree with TD. I would also add to watch the transom at least once in a while for any flex especially when you jam the throttle full forward. Flex is a sign of a weak transom or too much power. 15 Hp over shouldn't make much difference except from a legal point. Also if you ever get stopped and checked on the water you probably will earn a ticket.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Lawayers love over powered boats in accidents.

chad lester

Cadet

The boat is fully insured by farmers my agent came out took pics serial numbers, and insured me no problems I was very specific about motor and hull when buying the Ins. He told me no worrys.