Beating my head agianst a wall!

sax831

Recruit
I have just repowered my boat, with a 1986 350 Merc. 5.7 carbed engine (kept orig. 2000 Bravo III outdrive).
It purrrrs like a kitten...when it is not under load. As soon as I get it in the water it idols perfectly, however when I attempt to bring it up to speed it reaches 3200rpms and then falls on it's face. I look in the carptment and see a good deal of blow-by. I have redone the timeing and tested it, it is set @ 8 and runs dead on at 40 @ 3000rpms (the plugs are clean). I have replaced the fule pump, the coil, the water sepperator, I put an in-line fule pressure gauge in and it reads right arround 5psi constantly. I have an eddlebrock carb (1409) with eddlebrock in-take. I even managed to talk eddlebrock into replacing the carb 4 months past warranty, (great company when they answer the phone...). It is a new distributor, cap and roter. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do next??? :confused:

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Beating my head agianst a wall!

another funky advance problem.....

If your saying your timing is 40 Degrees before top dead center. Or 40 BTDC or 40 advance....... its way to much...
and you need to double check that. or find out why it's doing that.

Ed R

Petty Officer 3rd Class

blow by , or steam. first things first, check compression, if good see if you are pulling water in to motor at high speed or is motor over carbed?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if good see if you are pulling water in to motor at high speed

How is that done?

I have just repowered my boat, with a 1986 350 Merc. 5.7 carbed engine (kept orig. 2000 Bravo III outdrive).
What engine was in the boat originally? What is the drive gear ratio, and what set of props is on it?

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you happen to to see my thread? check it out you might find it interesting