New guy...help?

I just bought a 1987 four winns 16ft with a mercruiser four bagger 3.0L. The Most of the Problems seem simple the coil is shot as well as the cap and rotor, plugs, wires are all the same. The previous owner said that it ran fine when it was parked four years ago except when he turned it made like a knocking noise. I don't have any clue what would cause that in a boat. So if any one could help it would be very helpful. I am a pretty good truck mechanic but I am new to the boating world.
Thanks,
Jason
PS: where is the best web site to buy parts?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New guy...help?

Most likely cause is water in the bellows causing the ujoints and gimbal bearing to go bad. After 4 years, and all the corrosion I have seen happen after setting, you may not even have much to work with. Especially if it was in salt water.
Time to pull the outdrive, do some looking and posting some pictures of your findings.
Here is a link the the OEM service manual for that drive. Just scroll down to the outline page and click on the section LETTER you want to open.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

Ed R

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It sounds like the gimbel bearing has rusted up from siting, pull off drive and replace bearing. Ed r

MikDee

Banned

I agree with Ed, that's usually the sound a worn out gimbal bearing makes, I'd check that out. At the same time, you'll be able to check out your u-joints once you pull the drive off, like Don says.

Bondo

Staff member

I agree with Ed, that's usually the sound a worn out gimbal bearing makes, I'd check that out. At the same time, you'll be able to check out your u-joints once you pull the drive off, like Don says.

Ayuh,.......

That would be a Whole Lot Better than an engine Bearing Knock......

Cheaper,+ Easier to Fix too......

Most likely cause is water in the bellows causing the ujoints and gimbal bearing to go bad. After 4 years, and all the corrosion I have seen happen after setting, you may not even have much to work with. Especially if it was in salt water.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf[/quote]
First of all I would like to thank every one for their advise. The boat has only been in fresh water, and how does water get in the bellows?
I just ordered a bunch of engine parts, to get the motor running again. I am currently draining that four year old liquid gold I have torn down the carb and cleaned it Suprisingly clean. I will clean the tank out the best I can. Then I will move on to the out drive. I am having trouble reading the serial number on the out drive so here are some pics of the out drive I want to know if it is a first or second gen.?

Last edited:

Here are the pictures

Attachments

• motor3.JPG
    motor3.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 0
  • motor2.JPG
    motor2.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat motor1.jpg
    boat motor1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0

Don S

I just ordered a bunch of engine parts, to get the motor running again. I am currently draining that four year old liquid gold I have torn down the carb and cleaned it Suprisingly clean. I will clean the tank out the best I can. Then I will move on to the out drive.

You're ordering engine parts, not knowing if it will fix the problem or not, pull the outdrive and LOOK for gawds sake. Why do you want to fix the engine when you probably have a drive issue????

You sound like one of the "Trow money at the easy stuff and hope" group.

soler

Seaman Apprentice

You're ordering engine parts, not knowing if it will fix the problem or not, pull the outdrive and LOOK for gawds sake. Why do you want to fix the engine when you probably have a drive issue????

You sound like one of the "Trow money at the easy stuff and hope" group.

because he probably is fixing stuff he knows is wrong with the motor.:cool:

erikgreen

Captain

Here are the pictures

Alpha I gen 2 or higher.

I agree with the others, pull the drive and look into the bellows.

The bellows are only rubber, they do go bad and leak, which results in corrosion in there.... even if you're sure they're good, after four years you need to pull the drive off and make sure. It's not hard :)

Erik

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I see an Alpha 1, gen.I in the pictures,+ an 87 Should be so.....

Ok so I could not wait any longer for my parts orders, so I dropped the sterndrive and my findings were not good. The u-joints look ruff but was not broken, but will be replaced any way. The gimble bearing is sloppy and is ruff and sticky when it is turned. Plus there was water sitting in the upper hose. The lower hose seems ok, no water and black but the hose did not seem burnt or cracked. There was also for lack of a better word hard water deposits well here are some pics.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 0

here is one more. any recomendations of a coarse of action, I think that the bellow needs to be replace as well as the bearing. How would you clean up the deposits is it safe to use chemicals or a water hose. I don't really know where water can go. Thanks, Jason

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 0

Don S

See, I wasn't wrong. Water in the bellows.

You could also use some work in your photography skills :p :p

45Auto

Commander

Those "hoses" are usually called "bellows".

The lower one is the exhaust bellows, it's not real critical, stays filled up with water anytime the motor is not running anyway.

Your upper bellows (the one with the water in it) is definitely bad. Replace the bellows, gimbal bearing, and both u-joints while you've got it apart. You'll also need an alignment tool to get everything back on straight or you'll be pulling the engine to replace the coupler next.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

At least now you could put one half of a washing machine hose into the inlet in pic #2 and test run the motor.Looks like boots, gimbal , and U joints for starters. Maybe a shift cable too.Top boot should never have water or oil in it.

Well I have got both bellows off and the water hose, I rented a slide hammer puller from checkers and it is a piece of s***. The bearing is not wanting to come out. But my question for the classs is what are you guys using to align the motor? the shop just laught at me when I asked for the alignment tool. Also What are you using for bellow sealent?
Thanks,
Jason

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you can get an alignment tool on ebay that is a must so you wont have to do it agian. and have patience you may learn a few new words lol i know i did.

Ok I found a guy that loaned me a alignment tool, the old bearing is out the new one is in and aligned. It was really kinda easy. Now for the hard part I have been cussing at the new bellows for a little while now I have the Water hose in the drive shaft bellow is on. Now I will attempt my next magic trick the exhust bellow. Thanks for your help.
Jason

Don S

Now you are going to learn about the exhaust bellows tool. :D

If you don't have it, you will think the ujoint bellows was a cake walk.