Propellor Seal

gpetrilak

Seaman Apprentice
2003 Evinrude 250 HP Ficht. What is the purpose of the seal between the outside of the propeller hub and the gearcase housing ? I wrapped a lot of 80 Lb mono around the prop hub and when removing it a strip of fibrous material about 1/8" wide also came off. The parts breakdown seems to show the seal is pretty wide, should I worry about replacing it ? The prop is S.S. if that is a factor. I looked at a 225 Ficht, unknown year, and it didn't have a seal.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Propellor Seal

The propeller shaft should have two seals installed back to back. They prevent gear oil from leaking and water from intruding. You may have peeled the sealing membrane from the outer seal. The seal should be replaced as soon as possible.

Attachments

• 250.JPG
    250.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sounds to me like you are describing monofilament line that has wound in tight and melted from friction. Not uncommon at all.

gpetrilak

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it is the prop shaft seals if you are referring to part # 38. This appears to be a seal, #12 ?, that is the diameter of the prop hub and is in between the rear of the gearcase housing and the prop hub. A small part of it is visible in the other engine so I don't think it is melted mono.

Will pull the prop as soon as the big swells we are having will let me get the dingy off the beach without capsizing ! The boat is on a mooring.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yep, it does show a propeller seal (#12). Sorry, I'm not familiar with that one. Maybe it keeps exhaust gasses from escaping around the prop which would cause cavitation?? Just a wild guess that is worth nothing.