dumb question

f16dcc431

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hey yall so i went to chang the oil on my mercruiser 3.0 its a 1989 and there is no dipstick my question is how many quarts does it hold and does anyone know were the service manual online for that engine is thanks alot yall you guys have been a life saver on getting into owning a boat

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: dumb question

You need manual #10 for your engine, and it's not online. Might give ebay a try or order a new one from your local Merc dealer.
As far as the oil, you need a dipstick, not try to guess how much is in there and how much you actully got out. Overfull and you can aireate the oil and the lifters can collaps, not full enough and you risk engine damage.
Here is the dimensions of the dipstick. In blue, I drew in how the cap of the dipstick goes over the dipstick tube so you get the proper level marks.
A new dipstick is only about $13 from your Merc dealer or order online.

30LDipstick.png

Bondo

Staff member

and there is no dipstick

Ayuh,.... Where is it,..??

That's the 1st thing you've Got to do,....
Fix it, or Replace it.....

f16dcc431

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is not even a dipstick hole in the oil pan. Doesn't even look like there is supposed to be a dipstick. I would have to drill a hole in my oil pan to put a dipstick in. Kinda weird...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The hole is not in the pan, it is in the block. Here is a picture of where it should be:

dipstick3liter.jpg