volvo penta 3.0l distributor

jmhillusn21

Cadet
i need a picture of a whole distributor fron the drive for the oil pump to the head that the rotor attaches to. i need to make sure the cam gear is not 180 deg out on mine. yes i removed it, it was for a good reason and is a long story. funny but long. can anyone send this to me here or a jmhill21@hillsmountain.com. like i said, i need to be able to identify the correct placement for the cam gear on the distributor shaft

Bondo

Staff member
Re: volvo penta 3.0l distributor

i need to make sure the cam gear is not 180 deg out on mine.

Ayuh,.....

Do you mean Upside-Down,..??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You removed what??? The cam gear? On a 3.0L engine, the cam gear is cast onto the cam shaft.
And what is the full model number of your engine, I'm not sure if you have an old OHC 3.0L or the newer GM 3.0L engine.

Alumarine

Captain

Here's a picture from an older GM 3.0.

Attachments

• 2008_04290003.JPG
    2008_04290003.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 1

jmhillusn21

Cadet

this is a 2002 volvo penta sx with a 3.0l gsm-b 181 cu in chevy engine. the cam gear on the distributor is doweled in. it can go 2 ways. right or wrong. i think i may have it wrong. if anyone has a picture of this newer distributor. i need it with the distributor laying down all they way out of the engine so i can see a close up of the cam gear and dowel and the top with the notch laying relative to position. on one side the dowel sits on a tooth. on the other it sits in between a tooth. and the top notch is in a specific position.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The gear goes as pictured in the above picture with the gear between the distributor and roll pin (what you call the dowel)
It will only go one way. The hole is usually not exactly on center. Turn the gear till the hole is lined up on both sides. If it does go both ways, then no problem pick one. Install the new pin and you are ready to put the distributor back in.
All you have to do is get the engine turned so #1 cylinder is up on TDC on the compression stroke.
Then set the distributor in with the rotor aimed toward #1 spark plug wire on the distributor cap.
When you start it up, you will have to put the engine in base timing mode to reset the timing. You CAN NOT set the timing by ear or without putting it in base timing mode.