Rack n pinion steering binding up

jacko137

Seaman Apprentice
1977 Aristocraft nineteen i/o with Mercruiser 4 cyl. 120 hp.

The steering wheel turns smooth and easy starboard but when you try and turn to port side it starts to get very tight (two handed) and then binds just past straight up. It goes past this and makes it all the way over with two hands, but obviously not right.

This is on trailer, not in water or under load.

I disconnected the steering linkage from rudder assembly to see if it is in the steering cable/mech. itself vs. the outdrive. Sure enough, without the drive being connected it is doing same.

I opened tube behind steering console (rack I guess) and it has grease. I hit what appears to be all steering arm assembly in engine compartment with WD40, but nothing helps.

Is this a bad cable? I thought I'd check to see if I'm missing something obvious before I plunk down for a new cable/rack and pinion system.

Thanks all!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rack n pinion steering binding up

You need a new steering cable. It has a groove worn in it. When you turn to port, it PUSHES the cable into the worn groove and causes it to bind, when you turn to Stbd, it pull the cable and it isn't in that worn grrove.
I assume you turned the outdrive back and forth to make sure it wasn't binding while you had the cable loose.

jacko137

Seaman Apprentice

I assume you turned the outdrive back and forth to make sure it wasn't binding while you had the cable loose.

I did move the outdrive and it was smooth.

Cool, a new cable it is. That's all the reassuring I needed. :)

I found Aftermarket Marine had some decent prices--any other suggestions?

Last--boat is 19 ft--what length cable do you figure I need? I suppose I pull the old one first and measure, but I fear reinstall aided only by a two week old memory:eek:

Thanks again. This board is the only reason I'll might ever make it on the water this summer.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........

When you get to looking for the New 1,... You'll see that it's merely a few more dollars to buy the Complete helm,+ cable,....
It's just not worth the extra Effort to go with Just the Cable.....

Btw,.... The Length of the cable should be printed on it, within a few feet of the end,....

jacko137

Seaman Apprentice

When I said cable, I meant the complete system. Trying to find a cable to fit old helm units is almost an impossiblility. Why don't you buy a system from here at iboats? They did give you the FREE place to find out what was wrong.

Yeah, I'm not opposed to that idea. Price is right here:
http://www.iboats.com/Pretech_Rack_...9428512--**********.509841026--view_id.368787

But boy do they go up quickly to nearly $300 for a single. Question is for a 19' 1977 Aristocraft--is it considered an "older thru transom OMC engine" for which this is not suitable?

This looks good too:
http://www.iboats.com/Uflex_Racktec...09428512--**********.509841026--view_id.49378

Stupid question, but what is the application for the double vs. single. I'm assuming it is two engines and so I only need single, right?

Thanks again guys:D

Bondo

Staff member

Question is for a 19' 1977 Aristocraft--is it considered an "older thru transom OMC engine" for which this is not suitable?

Ayuh,.....

You've got a Single Mecruiser 120,......... Not an OMC.......

That don't apply to you.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have a Mercruiser, why look at OMC ?????

PS, buy Teleflex. The prices do go up when you go to NFB (No Feed Back) Systems.

PSS: Moving this to Boat Topics and questions, (not engine topics)

jacko137

Seaman Apprentice

So I really lucked out and found a guy within 5 miles of me parting out an Aristocraft Nineteen just like mine. Teleflex cable and rack was about all he had left and it is in great working condition. So $25 later I'm into the project and I'm stuck.

For reference again: 1977 Mercruiser 120 4cyl; Outdrive is 1.

I have the new rack installed and the wheel turns free and easy. But I'm having EXTREME difficulty pulling the cable out of the thru-engine assembly. I've loosed the large bolts so I could "push" the assembly as far port as possible to allow maximum room to "push" it out the other side, but no go. I tried to softly hammer the old cable out, but it won't go any further. Any sugguestions?

I'm also wondering how the hell I make the 90 degree turn required to get the new cable end to the engine. Do these cable ends break down in some way to pass through tight fittings? I figured I'd saw through the old one...

I've made it this far--last thing (for now ;)) and I may actually take it somewhere for pro help. That'd be a bummer, but maybe wise in my case. I'm a hack, no doubt:redface:

Thanks all!