Good information for what its worth

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1996 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE 7.4 Bravo II with an aluminum dual axle Continental trailer. Wellcraft says the boat empty weights 5000 pounds. Continental says the trailer weights 1100 pounds. This give a grand total of 6100 pounds.
I took the boat to a scale at servicestare hardware to have it weighed just for the heck of it and to find out how much I am over the limit.
With a full tank of gas and the boat empty of everything including seats aft cabin bed mattress, and front mattress. (basically the boat was completely empty with the exception of 80 gallons of fuel and 5 gallons of antifreeze for winterizing
With all this in mind I figure the fuel weighs 640 pounds and the antifreeze weights 40 pounds. If I figured it right the grand total is 6780 pounds. It sure felt like it was more than that so I weighed it.

THE TOTAL FOR BOAT,TRAILER AND FUEL/ ANTIFREEZE CAME TOOOOOO!!!!! Come on take a guess!!!! I will give you a hint. It isnt even close to 6780 pounds. Lets hear your estimate and I will post the weight in a few hours! I figure we might as well have a little fun with this!

Steve..

bhammer

Ensign
Re: Good information for what its worth

What does the winner get?

I guess 8267!

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

OK.. How about 8000 # even?

rndn

Commander

8975#
Does the closest guess get the boat delivered to their door? If it weighs that much I'll need to negotiate a lighter boat because my truck is only set to tow 6500#.

ferrellb

Seaman Apprentice

Just for the chance of winning I will go lower: 6500 lbs. Like anybody's setup is UNDER.......

96 Wellcraft

Seaman Apprentice

I'm going to guess real high 10,000 lbs. Wellcraft says my 21 Excel weighs 2900 dry, and EZ Loader says my trailer is a little over 600, my seat of the pants scales says it tows like 7000 lbs. I base this off towing my enclosed trailer which feels the same behind the truck. :eek:

TilliamWe

Banned

Well, your estimate for gas is way high. Gas doesn't weigh 8lbs per gallon. But anywho, I cheated and looked at a picture of a 96 Excel 26 on boattrader, so I am going to guess that is weighed

9887lbs

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1996 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE 7.4 Bravo II with an aluminum dual axle Continental trailer. Wellcraft says the boat empty weights 5000 pounds. Continental says the trailer weights 1100 pounds. This give a grand total of 6100 pounds.
I took the boat to a scale at servicestare hardware to have it weighed just for the heck of it and to find out how much I am over the limit.
With a full tank of gas and the boat empty of everything including seats aft cabin bed mattress, and front mattress. (basically the boat was completely empty with the exception of 80 gallons of fuel and 5 gallons of antifreeze for winterizing
With all this in mind I figure the fuel weighs 640 pounds and the antifreeze weights 40 pounds. If I figured it right the grand total is 6780 pounds. It sure felt like it was more than that so I weighed it.

THE TOTAL FOR BOAT,TRAILER AND FUEL/ ANTIFREEZE CAME TOOOOOO!!!!! Come on take a guess!!!! I will give you a hint. It isnt even close to 6780 pounds. Lets hear your estimate and I will post the weight in a few hours! I figure we might as well have a little fun with this!

Steve..

Ok here we go!!
Any idiot(me) who purchased this boat thinking it would be in the towable range of a 1/2 ton pickup is overly optamistic at best. It would be if the trailer and boat manufacturer correctly stated the weights

My rig with no seats,cushons,canvas or anything else but fuel weighs...
7570 pounds.

Here is the question. Why is boat or trailer so underated by the manufacturer? Why are they not more accurate?

Thanks Steve.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Only 800 lbs. over? Remember that manufactuers net weight does not include ant trinket added after the fact. It does add up. Sounds like you need to drill for water (saturated flotation foam) also.

b_lish1966

Seaman Apprentice

I know this is stupid but I'm wondering if the engine and/or outdrive are the reason for the added weight.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Ok here we go!!
Any idiot(me) who purchased this boat thinking it would be in the towable range of a 1/2 ton pickup is overly optamistic at best. It would be if the trailer and boat manufacturer correctly stated the weights

My rig with no seats,cushons,canvas or anything else but fuel weighs...
7570 pounds.

Here is the question. Why is boat or trailer so underated by the manufacturer? Why are they not more accurate?

Thanks Steve.

That's pretty close. Mine is listed at 4300 lbs for the boat and 1300 for the trailer, for a total of 5600. It weighs 7400 loaded with fuel and gear. The trailer's spare tire and weight distributing hitch do add quite a bit though.

TilliamWe

Banned

Thanks Steve.

Because they don't have to be more accurate. Is there any way that you can weigh the trailer by itself? I'd be willing to bet that the boat weight is the one that is the most inaccurate.

bekosh

Lieutenant

I know this is stupid but I'm wondering if the engine and/or outdrive are the reason for the added weight.
BINGO!! We have a winner. The manufactures weight is with the base engine/outdrive, in this case 5.7l/Bravo2. The 7.4l will account for most, if not all, of the difference.

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any way of finding out when the last time the scale was calibrated/certified?

The weight really doesn't sound that far off to me. Especially, with the upgraded engines. Once you go away from the base model and add options/upgrades, the dry weight is little more than a SWAG in my opinion...

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Only 800 lbs. over? Remember that manufactuers net weight does not include ant trinket added after the fact. It does add up. Sounds like you need to drill for water (saturated flotation foam) also.

Just the thought of saturated foam makes me sick to my stomach. Im not sure my boat has any foam in it does it. All winter it sat nose real high,plug out,1500 watt heater down below and a fan blowing down into the Inspection cover for the secondary bilge and shower strainer in the aft cabin. The bilge area should be dry as a bone with warm air circulating in it all winter.

TilliamWe

Banned

BINGO!! We have a winner. The manufactures weight is with the base engine/outdrive, in this case 5.7l/Bravo2. The 7.4l will account for most, if not all, of the difference.

A 7.4 doesn't weigh that much more than a 5.7. A Mercruiser 496 B2 weighs 1199, and a 350MAG MPI B2 weighs 1037. And don't forget a 496MAG has standard closed cooling.

The boat has other options that added weight. Plus the fuel and antifreeze.

I wouldn't be concerned about water in the hull at all. It's a widely known fact that boat manufacturers' weights for their boats are a lie at worst, a total guess at best.

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A 7.4 doesn't weigh that much more than a 5.7. A Mercruiser 496 B2 weighs 1199, and a 350MAG MPI B2 weighs 1037. And don't forget a 496MAG has standard closed cooling.

The boat has other options that added weight. Plus the fuel and antifreeze.

I wouldn't be concerned about water in the hull at all. It's a widely known fact that boat manufacturers' weights for their boats are a lie at worst, a total guess at best.

In your best guess, do you think this boat has foam in it. The transome,top and floor seem to be one molded piece. The boat only has 147 hrs on it. Where can I view the foam if it has it. I can get a mirror in the secondary bilge and look clear to the bow of the boat from the sturn.

Thanks Steve