Transom Service

Shep111

Cadet
1989 Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha 1...... My question is, I was going to order a transom service kit, gimbal bearing, hose, seals, gaskets, bellows ect. but I came across something my marina can't seem to answer.
Their are now two different kits, one traditional & one with an Exhaust Tube instead of an exhaust bellows. The exhaust tube comes with only one hose clamp & in the picture doesn't look like it could stretch very much when you raise the motor but maybe it doesn't need to, if in fact in doesn't even attach to the stern drive like the old stlye. I realize the exhaust bellows doesn't really need to seal out water, like the U joint bellows does & Iam assuming the new style tube, given it's shape, is much easier to install without the special tool you need to install the old style.
Which would you say is better or worse & has anyone had any experience with the new one.
Thanx, Shep

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom Service

Go with the exhaust tube, much easier......;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The one with the tube CAN be used in place of the correct one. It doesn't connect to the drive side of the bellows. It just makes installation easier, but could open up your exhaust to waves and possible water in the cylinders when the drive is up and the boat is beached. Other than that possibility, nothing wrong with using it.

Shep111

Cadet

Thanx Guys..........I'll go with the newer (easier) one. It's alittle more expensive but with all Iam doing to the boat, eliminating some of the headaches one by one, will really help the project along.
Waves shouldn't be a problem as the boats docked (drive up) at my pier in a channel but will sure keep that in mind out on the water if & when I would raise the drive. The only other difference I've heard of is your boat is a bit louder......but that makes sense. Thanx Again, Shep