teak wood removal problem

i have removed most of the teak trim from my boat already but i am running into a problem with removing a few larger pieces of the base trim on the outside of the boat. the problem is the screw holes are "capped" off by teak wood fill caps... is there a way to get them out other than destroying them to get access to the screws underneath? if not what is the best way to get them out? i heard using a drill bit and drilling them out? if i do that where do i get new ones to cover the screws when i reinstall them? i have already tried prying them but it seems as tho they are glued in or really wedge in tight.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: teak wood removal problem

They are called bungs. Wood bungs. There is a plug cutter made where you can make your own. Furniture suppliers sell them ready made like woodworker's supply.

Using a screw, screw into the bung and it might lift out in one piece, several pieces, take part of the surrounding wood with it or strip the screw head under the bung.

A scratch awl/ice pick is another option. Use something next to the bung to protect the good wood when you pry with the scratch awl.

A heatgun may or may not loosen the adhesive holding them in.

Good Luck