lenght of transom mount question

CBULL

Cadet
I'm looking to get a kicker motor on my 16-foot aluminum fishing boat. The transom height on my boat is 20", and the motor I'm looking at buying is 25 1/2" from the bottom of the skag to the transom mount. Is that sufficient lenght?
Thank you!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: lenght of transom mount question

Ayuh,....

If anything, it might be Too long.....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'm looking to get a kicker motor on my 16-foot aluminum fishing boat. The transom height on my boat is 20", and the motor I'm looking at buying is 25 1/2" from the bottom of the skag to the transom mount. Is that sufficient lenght?
Thank you!

Measure from the antivent plate(just above the prop) to the mount bracket where it sits on the transom.20 in. is best.What kind/hp kicker?Keep in mind your not going to plane with the kicker.So the critical thing is the prop stays submerged when experiencing wave action.There are kicker brackets that allow raising/lowering the kicker.longer shaft allows the powerhead to be more accessable on a lowered bracket.

CBULL

Cadet

Thanks, the boat has a 30HP long shaft for the main motor. I'm thinking a 5HP would be enough for a kicker motor, but I was thinking I needed a long shaft for a kicker also. If that?s not the case that will open a lot more options.

Thanks, is there any thing else I should be considering?