Diesel Fuel

rndn

Commander
I just got a 2007 Kubota BX2230 with 106 hours with a front end loader and a 60" belly mount deck. It's my first diesel anything and I would like to know if the fuel has issues like gasoline? Is there a stabilizer for it or does it need a stabilizer? Can you use kerosene for it? I know when winter comes around I need to make sure I get winterized fuel, but what about the 5 gallon storage container in my shed? If I still have summer fuel in my container and tractor, is there an additive to make it winterized?
Thank you in advance for your help and knowledge!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Diesel Fuel

I am on my second Kubota, rndn. B2150 HST 4WD. Had "Big Orange" for about 11 years, and not a speck of trouble from the engine. I am currently replacing the hydraulic hoses that have been cooked by Texas summer sun.

When I lived in the frozen north I used a Simplicity that burned propane, so I had no winter fuel/starting troubles. Texas winters offer no troubles with the diesels.

But. . . .I did drive a Mercedes Diesel car when I lived in MN. I don't recall any problems with winter fuel, but a block heater was a must. I had no experience with trying to run summer fuel in the winter, but I think my owner's manual said to add some percentage of kerosene or unleaded gas to untreated diesel fuel because regular #2 Diesel may gel at very low temps.

I don't think Diesel fuel needs any sort of stabilizer for storage.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

NEVER exceed 40% kero in the winter. It actually washes the lubrication off the cylinder walls. Kero cuts the fuel so it will flow in the winter and so will the Power Service.

Go to a parts store and pick up a qurt size bottle of Power Service (White container w/black label) there is also a red bottle called Diesel 911 pick it up and read that label you will understand.

That is almost nothing to speak of when talking equipment hours ...... that Kubota is "brand new" and not really broke in w/only 106.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Your love the 2230. Any of them with the pass through deck are nice.
I have had 3, a B7100, BX2200 and my current B7510.
The B7100 was old school with no water pump and was it's only drawback.
If you got in heavy grass, it would want to overheat.
The hydro and 4WD is awesome on these tractors.
I would not even think about owning any other make.
Oh yea, use the Power Service, it is great stuff.
I use it in my tractor and truck.

rndn

Commander

Thanks to all for the advice. I will get some power service this week.
One other question is it has 106 hours and the 3 cylinder 22hp diesel engine, 60" belly mount mower, front end loader, 4x4 with hi/low range, ROPS, hydrostatic trans. Was the $8500 a good price?

JB

Good price? I think so.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Very good price.

JB did hit a good point..... block heater or inline coolant heater will help it start in the winter. You have months to do it but it is worth the heads up.

Is this you first 60" deck? I know a few people who moved to a 60" then were miffed about it...... seems that a 60" will not take countours too kindly.

rndn

Commander

I've heard that about the 60" decks myself, but I live in the woods and could care less if it scalps the ground. My biggest problem is fitting the deck between all of my trees. I have a John Deere 445 with a 48" deck that just barely fits now. It looks like I'll either cut down a few trees or break out the self propelled push mower for trim.