Damaged prop

fisherovmen

Seaman Apprentice
Well we did it! Our first bent prop blade. Aluminum bladed prop, hit the ramp during loading and damaged a blade, bent fairly bad, where can I order a new prop, do I need a hub, and can I use a deep automotive socket or do I need a specific prop wrench? Evinrude 2 cyl. 50hp on a Lowe 1600 medium V. The motor manual states a 11 3/4" x 17" pitch.

Thanks, God bless, Mike.

cbavier

Lieutenant
Re: Damaged prop

Well we did it! Our first bent prop blade. Aluminum bladed prop, hit the ramp during loading and damaged a blade, bent fairly bad, where can I order a new prop, do I need a hub, and can I use a deep automotive socket or do I need a specific prop wrench? Evinrude 2 cyl. 50hp on a Lowe 1600 medium V. The motor manual states a 11 3/4" x 17" pitch.

Thanks, God bless, Mike.

You can have it repaired. It can be nearly destroyed all the way to the hub and still be repaired. Just look in the yellow pages and find a local prop repair shop.You can and should have an extra prop anyway. Buy a new one at Michiganwheel.com and have the old one repaired for a spare. Check I boats also they may have Props at their online store or a local Marine Store.To have one repaired that I nearly destroyed after discovering a large rock bed cost me $85. A new one from Michiganwheel will run around $125. Mine are 14 1/2 x 21

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Regular socket is fine if you have one that fits. Verify that the damaged prop is in fact a 17 pitch prop before you go shopping. Also, were you happy with the performance of your old prop and were you able to get the recommended RPM at wide-open-throttle with the old prop? This is the time to make corrections if needed.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You can order a new prop from I boats Marine Store. Just click the link at the top of the page. You can get a hub system prop (two piece) or integral hub (one piece) prop. Choice is yours.

A deep socket will work to remove the prop nut. Getting the prop nut cotter pin out is sometimes a pain, its very close quarters in the 50hp. And the cotter pin is stainless. So replace with the same, or use a locking prop nut with the plastic insert at one end.

I have bent aluminum props on my 40hp Evinrude. I put them in a vice and using wood plocks and hammer carefully straighten them out. A little heat from a propane torch won't hurt either. Remember, your only running a 50hp, not 200hp, so the chances of breaking a straigntened prop are not as great.

If you boat in an area where hitting obstructions and damaged props are common, think of using a hub system. It saves money after the first prop. I use the Hustler brand hub props on my 40hp. They are good props, good performers with cupped edges, and inexpensive. I nave no complaints.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Thanks, God bless, Mike.

I think this is the page your looking for.

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Ev...wer=50&**********=064556303&*******=830507744

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Just a note, had a Michigan prop first time out came back with half a blade gone, just snapped off.
I didn't feel any contact, they just seem to be really brittle, spend the money and go with OEM or repair.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Just a note, had a Michigan prop first time out came back with half a blade gone, just snapped off.
I didn't feel any contact, they just seem to be really brittle, spend the money and go with OEM or repair.

I'm running the same MICHIGAN PROP now three years and had no problem since the rock bed incident three years ago.

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've run Mich Props and had no problems. The shop I use sells both and the owner strongly suggested I not buy the Michigan. I guess he personally has had bad experience.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

While you can bang out a prop yourself to some extent it is not the ame as getting a shop to do it. Whaile your do it yourself may look fairly O.K. it may be out of balance and result on a a strain on the seals etc. plus vibration - not good. Maybe O.K. for a get home spare though but not your daily runner.

Here using your engine to power on to your trailer is frowned upon. The prop wash tends to chew up the ramp for others.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

When I go to Michigan to fish they have signs at all the launches saying it is illegal to power on the trailer for just that reason.
Maybe I got a bad prop, it just seemed to be more brittle than an OEM prop.

cbavier

Lieutenant

When I go to Michigan to fish they have signs at all the launches saying it is illegal to power on the trailer for just that reason.
Maybe I got a bad prop, it just seemed to be more brittle than an OEM prop.

Power Loading is illegal in Michigan as well as many other states. It destroys the boat launch for fellow boaters by washing the sand away from the end of the ramp. I think it's a $500 fine if your caught power loading. But really it's just common courtesy for other boaters. Of course there are a lot of boaters who don't have any regards for fellow boaters, so some do it anyway.