MCM 120 frying starter soleniod

jacko137

Seaman Apprentice
Here's the rig:

1977 Mercruiser 120--4cyl. It's in a 19 foot Aristocraft. I bought this on an ebay whim this past winter, an I'm pleased to report I have her running smoothly. She circulates water, shifts F and R just fine, all fluids changed, new sparks, cap, wires, etc. All is good (if she floats of course--don't know that yet).

Execpt here's the problem--she wouldn't fire up at the ignition key. I've had to jump the terminals on the starter to get her running each time. So I figured maybe a soleniod and sure enough, replaced it today and she fired right up with the key. I let her run for maybe 5 mins and shut down. Two minutes later there is nothing again at key. Not even a click, so I'm assuming the new soleniod is fried. What would cause this? I used aftermarket Mercruiser part that matched up perfectly.

Any suggestions where to start looking for this would be great. I can say the wiring is a cluster bomb, so I don't even know where to start there.

Thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: MCM 120 frying starter soleniod

your shorting:
main solenoid on the starter or the slave solenoid

Bondo

Staff member

I can say the wiring is a cluster bomb,

Ayuh,...... My Guess is,..... That's your Problem....

jacko137

Seaman Apprentice

Too bad that only goes through the index. I'd love to have a full version of that for the wiring diag alone. Electrical issues are the worst IMHO.

But--I figured out it's a flat spot on the starter itself. When hot wiring just for a split second to turn that starter, then it'll fire back up at the key. I'll probably leave it alone and see if it works itself out--I think it sat for some time.

Now I have a steering issue, so I'll start a new thread. Thanks guys, for the help!

Bondo

Staff member

Too bad that only goes through the index. I'd love to have a full version of that for the wiring diag alone. Electrical issues are the worst IMHO.

Ayuh,.....

You have to Click on the section you want to read......