convertion to throttle body fuel injection

I have a 86 Searay 23 that has a lot of carburator problems it has a quadrajet carb. It has been replaced a few times over the years but usually does not take long to act up. It floods, and is often hard to start. I am consitering salvaging the throttle body fuel injection and all related parts from a mid 90's automotive 350 including the computer.
Any coments or suggestions would be appreciated

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: convertion to throttle body fuel injection

Other than it's illegal and won't work, you are good to go!

Coors

Captain

That quad's only problem is 2 internal plugs that leak, and let raw gas in the body.
Fix that and save money.
And read how to adjust it, basically the secondary cover and spring. Same as a car.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Other than it's illegal and won't work, you are good to go!

Ayuh,......
And you'll be Missing Abunch of Sensors that have No Place to be installed......

I'm a firm Believer in the AFB Carbs.... The Edlebrock Performer is the most current of them available... The 600cfm model is Perfect for your motor....
And,.... They're reasonably Inexpensive.......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you have fuel system issues not carb issues.
the Q-jet was about the most versitile and reliable 4bbl carb ever produced.
yes the main well plugs tended to leak with age but epoxy is a permanent cure.
first year of production was about 1965 and its still in production today, although now only on industrial stuff not US market automotive.
its been used on about every thing from 4 cylinder, the old 250 CID overhead cam pontiac six, to the 572 CID GM motors.
Chysler even used it on the chysler marinized 460 ford motors.
I would either study up on how and why that carb works or find a shop that has a tech that attended one of the Rochester schools, like I did, many years ago.
but your not describing a carburator issue, your describing contaminated fuel, EFI will only magnify the fuel issue.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If you did put an automotive TB system on it, aside from being illegal, you would put yourself at EXTREME risk legally when you took someone out on your boat and it blew up. If someone was killed as a result, it would be a legal nightmare. Since you live in an area where people "Lawyer up" at the drop of a hat, they would have a field day if the opposing lawyer found out you were violating a federal law and that violation resulted in a death. Your insurance might not cover you either. It would not be pretty. It would cost a LOT more than the value of just replacing the carb with a new one.

If you MUST have fuel injection, either buy yourself a complete Merccruiser EFI system or do it when you replace the engine. You could put a reman 383 MPI or do like I did and do the whole thing. Put a 454/Bravo in it.

Otherwise either rebuild the carb or get a rebuild from Flying Fish carbs etc...

Cheers,

Rick