sailboat outboard steering lock?

Gizmobreaker

Seaman Apprentice
I have a J15RLCOB 15 HP outboard in a wet locker, or lazarette, in the stern of my Catalina 27 sailboat. Running with the outboard is a bit of a contortionist act, because of the locker hatch. I would really prefer to lock the outboard at 90 degrees to the transom and use the boat's rudder to steer. If this is possible, it might even be worthwhile to investigate getting the remote throttle kit!
Is there a way to do this? Can I just tighten down on the steering friction adjusting screw until the motor does not move, or will it vibrate itself loose at just the wrong moment?
Thanks, everyone, for any help,
Marty

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: sailboat outboard steering lock?

you should be able to do that, with not problem. periodically loosen, and move the motor so it does not freeze up.

Gizmobreaker

Seaman Apprentice

Great! Thanks for the speedy reply, and the info, too.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Gizmo, I had an ERude 15 for a Columbia 26 sailboat and did the same thing - it was stored in the starboard lazarette when not in use. The Columbia 26 has a well in the cockpit with a plug that looks like a square bucket for use when the motor was removed. Fooling with the motor all of the time was a pain but the boat was definately faster under sail with it out.

I think you will find that you can tighten the set screw for the steering friction lock and obtain satisfactory results. The advice offered above re periodic lubrication and movement is excellent too - be sure to do that.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I like that idea as when I had my old 9.9 on my Seafarer 24'er, it moved all over and would sometimes hit the rudder :( I should of locked it like you are suggesting!

Gizmobreaker

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, everyone, for the help. I'll definitely be trying this.