Battery Jump Boxes

bhammer

Ensign
All,

I have been going back and forth between dual battery setup or a battery jump box for the just in case situations. Any thoughts either way? In any case, any recomendations for either setup and parts would be a great help.

We do tie up in coves and listen to the raido but havn't had battery problems in the past. Someone always comes with a bigger badder stero to listen to.

rndn

Commander
Re: Battery Jump Boxes

You could always setup a second battery that would be duel purpose. You could make sure the radio is hooked up to the battery switch, but if it's just a regular radion you don't have much to worry about as they don't draw much juice. If you did use 2 batteries make sure youn use the perko battery switch so once you anchor you could select bat 2 and just run off that and leave bat 1 alone.

BigSteve1967

Seaman Apprentice

Still wouldn't hurt to have the dual batteries and also keep a jumper box on board. I have a dual battery set up with a Perko switch and I also keep a jumper in the storage in the cabin just in case anything ever happens. Plus you never know you may be in a cove and someone elses battery dies you could always lend them your jumper and be a hero. I also keep spare belts in the storage just in case the alternator belt snaps. You can never have to much extra stuff just in case because the way I look at it if my car stalls I can pull over and walk for help, if my boat stalls I ain't Jesus I cant walk on water...YET. lol

JUSTINTIME

Captain

i have 3 batts
1 cranking
2 group 34, 1 for bait pump other electronics
and i aslo carry a jump pack!!!

Randy169

Seaman Apprentice

Lots of choices - no perfect solution.

To me, it comes down to a matter of room. My current boat only has room for one battery - thus I carry a jump battery that I carry along with me. It's easy to stow and I didn't have to fuss with extra cabling and such.

The boat before this one was very easy to add another battery and cabling. So I did that.

I only use my boat for day trips on lakes and the occasional overnighter. The jump battery gives me the comfort for the next morning. :)

I also carry an extra alt belt and the tools to replace it. Plus clamps and the all important duct tape.

bhammer

Ensign

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think it is going to come down to budget when I decide to do this. I may get a jump box to tide me over to see how we do. Then if I find I am jumping, go with the second battery. decisions, decisions....