1989 Mercruiser 4.3 Ltr. STARTER PROBLEM

mano

Cadet
Hmmmm, I posted this earlier but it didn't appear, and I now have additional info.

When I turn the key, sometimes all i get is a click. I thought probably it was a starter cellenoid, so I had the starter professionaly rebuilt. It also has a new 1000 cold crank amp battery, and all connections have been cleaned, including the ignition switch and relays.

The click noise, when it doesn't start, is coming from both the circuit breaker and the relay to the right of it (both under the same plastic housing. I'm assuming it is one of these relays? But you know what they say about assuming, and i already assumed wrong on the starter and/or starter cellenoid.

I'm wondering if i could temporarily bypass the circuit breaker by connected those 2 hot wires as I'm thinking it is the relay next to the circuit breaker...and help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1989 Mercruiser 4.3 Ltr. STARTER PROBLEM

and all connections have been cleaned, including the ignition switch and relays.

Ayuh,......

Does this include All of the (-s)Grounds,..??
Both ends of All the Ground wires,..??

I believe you're looking at the remote Solenoid,.. Not a Relay.....
If So,....
Yes,.. by-pass it with a stout wire, from 1 Big lug to the other Big lug.....

Hmmmm, I posted this earlier but it didn't appear, and I now have additional info.
I guess you didn't Look very hard,.....
Here's your Other Thread......