Bow mount trolling motor?

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer
I have a bow rider that converts over to a fishing platform. There's no place to put a foot plate, so I've been looking at the hand operated scissor types. Really the only one that might work is the Minn Kota saltwater version, but holy moly they want $450 for it! I just want something to move me around in the calmer fish-hiding areas...maybe in the 40# range.<br /><br />Ideas?

buttonhook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bow mount trolling motor?

YOU COULD GET THE ONES THAT MOUNT TO YOUR ENGINE.

River fish

Cadet

Chris<br />I used to have an old Caravell Tri hull that I converted into a " Bass Boat " and had the same problem, the way I dealt with it was to make a block of wood (mine was 5 3/4 x 5 3/4 x 18")about a 1/2 higher than the front bow gunnel and bolt the trolling motor plate through the block and the fishing deck with 5/16 carrage bolts. although I did have to extend the mount beyond the block somewhat to clear the bow I never had a problem at all.<br />Just make sure when you locate the block and mount that you try it with the motor in both up<br />and down positions and give yourself about 3/4"<br />clearance between the motor shaft and the bow for flexing of the shaft.

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

Well, the problem is with this boat there is no real 'fishing deck'. It's a standard bow rider, but has this removable platform that you can stick a pole/seat into for fishing. The seat pads are removable and there are hatches for drinks, etc. There's no permanent place to bolt anything other than on the bow itself. <br /><br />I've seen other bow rider 'F&S' types with trolling motors, but not up close.

River fish

Cadet

The way mine was set up was I made a fishing platform deck in the bow seating area, I removed the seat cushions and made a template of where I wanted the deck to be, then transferred the size to a sheet of 1/2 marine ply ( you might need 3/4 if you have to span more than 15 or 20 inches)and covered it with marine grade carpet,<br />as far as mounting the entire deck, under the original cushions there were storage wells<br />and I just made some blocking cleats that "hooked" underneath the lip on the well and then bolted through the fishing deck, I also put some carpeted spacer blocking between the new deck and the fiberglass cushion ledge for wire chase and to aid in drying when things got wet.<br />The total weight of all this deck W/O trol mtr<br />was about 50 or 60 lbs. We fished with this set up for years with no problems,Although later on we did add a live well between the walk-through space.