Reccomend me a prop size/pitch please

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,
I have a 1980 skeeter wrangler 16ft semi v bass boat. It has a 79' johnny 115 (it used to be a 100hp before I swapped powerheads). I'm guessing I'm looking at about 1200lbs. and it runs 44mph WOT (gps) @6200RPMs. I'm guessing that's a little high for several reasons. 1) this was measured with a full tank and 2 people, semi-rough water. 2) The prop that is on there is pretty bent up. I have no idea what prop pitch is on there right now (it is the origional prop from 79' and the stamp is worn off. It measures at around 13" wide. I need to get these RPMs down. Can anyone get me to get in the right ballpark as to where I need to start trying prop pitches? Thanks for your help.

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Reccomend me a prop size/pitch please

Would this prop be in close to what I need?

OMC Polished Stainless Steel Stiletto Performance Propeller

3 Blade 13.25 dia X 21 pitch- - 13 spline

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Not knowing the pitch of your current prop, we can't provide anything other than a guess. If you have a 19P now, the 21P would bring rpms down about 400 RPM. If you have a 17P it would bring rpms down about 600. If you have a 15P it would bring it down 800 rpm. If you have a 21P now, chances are there will only minor up or down RPM change.

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

SIlvertip is giving you good advice.

Only thing I would add, is consider taking your prop to a prop-shop and have it reconditioned, they will be able to tell you what pitch you have now and it will give you better numbers to decide whether you should replace the prop or not.

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok Thank you for the tips.
With a little elbow grease and a buffing wheel I have found the prop size. It is a 13 3/8 X 17. So from what I understand if I go to a 13 3/8 X 19 that will lower me down approx 400 RPMs and I will be around 5800... just right. So that's what I'll do. Now I ask you is there any particular brand/ type/ style I should look for? I am a novice when it comes to props. Thanks for your help as always.

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will defer advice to the experts on this, since I have never ran a skeeter.

Happy boating.

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, I found a used 13x19 stainless prop (1979 vintage) on ebay for 15 bucks... Thought that was pretty cheap. I'm wondering how much more performance I could get with a new prop with new technology? 15 dollars vs 350 dollars... what would be better with the newer one? thanks again to all

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does my height look ok?
show.php