Control box/thottle repair advice

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
Hey everyone.
I had snapped the plastic barrel at the end of my shift cable where it attaches behind the lever on the remote control/ control box. I took it apart and lost the darn pieces. Boats in the shop now and they claim I need a whole new one!!
Could this be true? Are there so many that are so different you can't get parts?
On a 2000 wellcraft 186ss volvo penta/SX.
Thanks for any insight

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Control box/thottle repair advice

Got a picture of the control box? There are SOME parts available for repairs, but to be quite honest. If you are having the work done, it will probably be cheaper in the long run to get a new control. Putting a control together after the customer took it apart is going to be a hit and miss at best. (the customer doesn't know he lost 2 or more parts and broke this one !!!!!!)

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Mr. Don!!
I see your still handing out free money, I mean advice.;)
I can't find a picture of it.
Is 500.00 a good price for one? Mine has the push button in the center of throttle lever, trim/tilt button on top of lever. Pretty basic stuff??
I know what's missing. There was a small plate and a rounded hold down (had two halves) that kept the end of the shift cable secure.
Can't believe a few minor parts just cost me major money..
Time to "Bust Out Another Thousand!!"
Thanks Don!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ya'know, I only had a minor part broken on my Mercury throttle/shift control but it was FAR easier to just buy a top of the line Teleflex throttle/shift controller from one of the marine sales companies.

I got the one similar to the one shown HERE

It was WELL worth it! It was only about $220 or so.

Don! I was in Ketchikan today......the weather was beautiful! I don't know why anyone would want to leave! (I'm in Sitka now...pretty nice here too!!) I guess it was their 1 day of summer!!

Cheers,

Rick