Another problem; but i know yall have an answer??

jacobpourciau

Seaman Apprentice
First off, thanks to all that help me out on my carburator issue!!! NOW, I have a simple question. I have water in my lower unit. And my question is can i just change my lower unit oil one a month until i save the money up to have it re-sealed, OR am i just asking for trouble?? I take my boat out every weekend also.....I am thinking that that will be around the end of the summer to have it resealed????? O, FYI, the oil coming out isnt solid white like i have seen before. It is a coffee w/ cream color to it. Thanks in a advance!!:D One more thing the vent/drain screws slots are damaged a little..that wouldnt have anything to do with water intrusion??

bluebrownie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Another problem; but i know yall have an answer??

when did the vent seals get replaced? may want to do that first and keep an eye on the LU for continued water

jacobpourciau

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced them recently.......however, i did install them, then take the screws back out to check on something, then reinstalled them..I have been told that these washers are a one time use so i am hoping that that was my problem, but i doubt that i am that lucky!:(

bluebrownie

Petty Officer 1st Class

what year is the motor? i had a similar problem...i thought, and i called the marine shop that put the lower unit fluid in....they said that the kind of LU fluid has a more golden/tannish tint...really downplayed it... pour some out and let it sit for a few days... water will drop to the bottom... also if you open up the drain plug, water..if there is any...should come out first...otherwise, change it, check it after a couple of trips out with it...

jacobpourciau

Seaman Apprentice

Ok see thats what i dont understand? Water comes out first? I mean is it like clear water or is it just a oil mix and water? I never noticed any "clear liquid" comming out when i first pulled the plug! All i noticed was the tint of the oil was coffee with cream color. And i have always been told that that is water in your oil!! Also, whenever i put the oil in it was clear tan. The oil i am using is mercurys premium oil lube. However, i am switching the wally world's type oil bc i am planning on just changing it every month.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

The water should come out first but not if it is checked right after use. With the gears flying around in there during use, it tends to mix the oil and water up together quite well.

I usually check my oil after it has sat for a few days. If you did this as well then I would empty it, put it in a glass jar and let it sit for a week or so. If water doesn't seperate out than it is unlikely that you had any in there in the 1st place.

jacobpourciau

Seaman Apprentice

The water should come out first but not if it is checked right after use. With the gears flying around in there during use, it tends to mix the oil and water up together quite well.

I usually check my oil after it has sat for a few days. If you did this as well then I would empty it, put it in a glass jar and let it sit for a week or so. If water doesn't seperate out than it is unlikely that you had any in there in the 1st place.

Got ya. But when yall are reffering to water setteling/coming out first. Will it be clear??? Like tap water in a clear glass, or will it be oil/water mixed? Also I did let my engine sit for about 3 days before i changed the oil. And as soon as i pulled the plug oil came out for what i could tell first. However, all the oil had a hint to it that water may have been present! IDK i am so confused if i have water in it or not!!!!!!!!!!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yes it will be clear, it will separate from the oil. Recheck yours, or let it sit a few days then check for water out before you go out again. Or just pump it full again, enjoy your time out and drain it when you get back and check it for water in a couple of days.