Trigger wire not good on my 78 1400

tramp666

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1400 that the wires going into the distributor have rotten insolation and I have coated them to avoid the removal and maintenance on the distributor but it's worrying me. Do I have to pull it out to change the trigger and how big of a job is that... or should I replace the distributor? And how big a job is that?

Does anyone have a distributor they want to sell? any help would be welcomed and appreciated.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Trigger wire not good on my 78 1400

If your are good with a soldering iron some have repaired them that way but I have not had the best of luck repairing them and normally replace them. You will have some of your post remove when the mods. see it there is no advertising allowed.

tramp666

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for answering my question. I do have a follow up. Are triggers for that 78 1400 available? How tuff is it to get the distributor out and then back in the same spot again? I'm hoping it's the last of chain of terrible events to make this dude run right. My carb kit (floats & needles) should arrive by friday. School always was tough on me and this mercury is no different.

Laddies

Banned

CDI builds the best triggers, as far a changing it it's not to hard with a manual. Get the engine on #1 before removing, it's difficult not to mess up the top bearing on the dist. shaft then removing it, mark the plate to help get on right side up and support it when removing the shaft so it's not damaged or the photocell.

Clams Canino

Commander

If you coat the wires well enough, you might be OK for a good long time.
You can get a good used complete distributor on Ebay cheaper than a new trigger unit from CDI or Mercury.

-W

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

i have repaired with heat shrink tape from auto supply

tramp666

Seaman Apprentice

This is how tricky I got... The insolation was so bad that the wire was deterroating as well. So I soldered the wires. basicly tinting them as far as I could to try and keep them together. The wire was less than fiberous.

I think I've done all I can there.

My next move is either new distributor or trigger replacement.

I haven't check ebay for a distributor yet but I will look into it.

I did find a trigger/distributor housing for $209.00 but I'm not looking forward to pulling the distributor out. Any advice here would be great!

On the 78 1400 does it have to be a new housing/trigger assembly?

Other model years seem to have a trigger only that changes out.

Hopefully my carb parts will arrive today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the help so far!

I here a lot of people talk about how good these motors are and it gives me hope.... I just have to get through this and work the bugs out.

tramp666

Seaman Apprentice

Oh I almost forgot.... what about the distributor shaft?

I have to get that out without damaging the rotor.

Is that what the clip on the bottom holds in?

What hold trhe gear on? A spring pin????

Does the shaft pull out of the assembly once the c-clip is removed?

Sorry for so many questions but you guy have done this before.

Laddies

Banned

The rotor is cast onto the shaft it cost $100+ the shaft is held in by a nut. At this point if you don't get a manual there will be two broke nuts hanging around the back of the boat.

Clams Canino

Commander

The rotor / shaft combo is over $300 now from Brunswick Mercury.

-W