Water Shutters

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
Recently my origional flapper pin style shutters were making way too much noise for me so I went and replaced them with the drop in Mallory units. Is there a trick on getting the flappers to have less resistance. I was able to squeeze them in but it takes some force to push through the rubber and when you pushed though to much they both went verticle and stayed there. I pryed them back up so that they would block any incoming water. After buttoning it all up, I started it up and it was quiet and water and fumes came out. I assume it was ok. Anything I should check for in the future? Does the heat and water make the ruber softer?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water Shutters

replaced them with the drop in Mallory units

Why not use the Merc shutters in your Merc???????????

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

The origional merc shutters were replaced by this new style. I purchase the mallory units because they were 30 bucks for 2 of them vs mercruisers 60 a piece. I could use the 90 bucks in savings for fuel. From searching iBoats I have not seen one complaint for the off brand mallory or sierra units. I'm just asking a simple question.

ziggy

Admiral

I purchase the mallory units because they were 30 bucks for 2 of them vs mercruisers 60 a piece. I could use the 90 bucks in savings for fuel.
ya coulda saved 120 towards fuel and lived with the rattle too.

After buttoning it all up, I started it up and it was quiet and water and fumes came out. I assume it was ok.
good that ya solved yer noisy flapper problem, good that water came out. outa where? the prop hub and relief ports?

Anything I should check for in the future?
i'd think keep an eye on the temp gage as if the flappers stayed closed, ya'd have a exhust restriction. keep checking for water coming out of the prop hub and relief ports. that's the first thing i do after start up in the driveway. see if i have water flow.

Does the heat and water make the ruber softer?
most rubber i've seen gets softer as ya heat it up. warm water i'd think would have the same effect.......

I'm just asking a simple question.
the simple question was answered. merc parts are for mercs and fit proper and work proper. aftermarket is copies of merc parts. they may not be exactly the same in demention or made out of the proper material..... i wasted me some money on an aftermarket part this winter too if it makes ya feel better. i wasted $30 on a glm shiftshaft that didn't fit proper, then spent
$75 on the oem part. it worked perfect.... wasted my time and money in the end.....

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

Why would you continue with the installation if they were sticking open?? Oh well...they won't stop water from coming back up into the exhaust, but the most important thing is that they are quiet....you could also stop the brakes on your car from squeeking by cutting the brake lines.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

They only stuck open if I pushed them in the center fully down by hand. The rubber streached and got caught under the pivot then. I very doubt that it will ever get like that under normal circumstances. I took them back off, reinstalled them and they seamed ok. I just was asking for people who have done it before if this was common and if there was supose to be resistance on them.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Well, when I went up to the local marina today to get some parts, I mentioned the problem I was having and he said that OEM and aftermarket such as the sierras and Mallorys have had some problems in the past with these plastic drop in shutters. He mentioned that on some boats they accually had to sand a little of the plastic and trim the rubber area in the center to get an easy flexable movement. I'll pull them off this weekend and see whats up.

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is the difference between a technician and a parts changer. Techs know how they are supposed to work. Or where to hit it with the hammer.

Bondo

Staff member

I'll pull them off this weekend and see whats up.

Ayuh,........ Don't Over Analyze it,.....

When the motor runs,..... They'll Open,.....

If there's a back-splash of water,.... They'll Close.......

They don't make a Perfect Seal,+ it's not expected......

Volvo Doesn't even use flappers anymore for that matter......
Not that I, personally agree with Volvo on that 1......

That is the difference between a technician and a parts changer. Techs know how they are supposed to work. Or where to hit it with the hammer.

Ayuh,.....
And I've got a doctorate in Mechanicin',...............:D

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

Bondo's right, they don't have to make a perfect seal. But they should pop-up by themselves every time they are pushed down, be it by exhaust pressure or your finger. I wouldn't depend on the water pushing them closed.

Isn't it worth the peace of mind installing OEM's and knowing they will work when you need them instead of just hoping they work?