Recycled Plastic Boards

LARSON69

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going to start replacing my transom and flooring and saw something at Menards (Home Improvement Store) this past weekend. They sell a product that is made from recycled plastic, like grocery bags or whatever. It comes in 4x8' sheets and was in the same area as the plywood. It's 1/2" thick. I was wondering if this could be used for the transom and possible the floor? It would never rot and it seemed to be very strong. One of the uses the advertisement listed was for workbench tops. Has anyone seen this stuff and do you think it would work for what I want to do. I'm not sure if the glassing materials would adhere to it but other that that, it's an attractive option.

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Recycled Plastic Boards

I've seen a few variations of plastic plywood or sheathing, one type is pretty flexible like those plastic or vinyl decking boards, and the other is rigid and is silmilar in appearance to high density particle board. The latter that I've dealt with was made in NY and was as rigid as plywood and only slightly heavier. It ran about $75 for a 1/2" thick 4x8' sheet.
Here's a link to something that looks similar to what I am referring too.
I've also seen a material used that more resembles solid nylon with various color variations that was pretty solid as well.

http://www.northbrookfarms.com/catalog.asp?prodid=524577

oops!

Supreme Mariner

someone needs to do a test on that stuff to see if it is compatible with boat resin

Coors

Captain

Dunno about F/G, but epoxy sticks to anything that isn't oily or plastic.
And epoxy sticks to more materials that resin, so I would test first.
My point being that I wouldn't use it with the more forgiving epoxy.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

if it is anything like the trex material - it may mold. we had a deck from that material and had it replaced by the manufacturer because of this issue... looked like black speckles after a year.

make sure to contact the manufacturer to see if it can be sealed - great idea - keep us posted on your findings

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ya know.......i just may run to the home store and git some of that stuff, and some of thoes new composite deck boards.......and try glassing them.....and may try epoxy as well.......just to find out if it is a possibility......