1990 Cutter Classic 158 Floor replacement

ilyo

Recruit
Well my buddy and I got a 1990 Cutter Classic 158...is a 15' bowrider..the hull is in pretty good shape...the floor was "spongy"...so we knew it needed to be replaced. We had originally hoped to only replace a small section...but once we removed the carpet...it was obvious..we needed to remove more. We have completed one days work. Any advice or opinions...please let me know!

DAY 1

- Removed carpet
- Cut Fiberglass mat at rotted plywood's edge and removed all plywood

Before Floor removal
2434880183_1da666e2bb.jpg

Cabin view before floor removal
2434879761_15813ba6a7.jpg

Cutting out Floor
2434884541_4793ed0158.jpg

Stern view with floor removed
2435702820_f45170d586.jpg

Bow view with floor removed
2435703678_5420d71ae0.jpg

Again, any advice is appreciated as tomorrow we will begin the process of building the floor. Here is our plan:
- Build floor using pressure treated plywood and stainless steel screws
- Epoxy all ends and fiberglass top and sides
Well start it anyways...doubt we will get those 2 steps all done tomorrow.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Cutter Classic 158 Floor replacement

good for you gettin all that done.....

i personally like pressure treated wood but it needs to be DRY....

if you havent purchased it yet...and plan on installing it tommorw.....you cant.

the wood will not take and hold the resin/glass....mabe epoxy will, but i doubt it....pt is pretty wet.....

a good choice for you....Uunless youve been drying the wood ...is exterior grade ply...its kiln dryed...and you can just throw it down and glass it.....(im still gonna dry mine)...

another problem with pressure treated wood is that you need to use special screws.....or the pt will eat the regular screws.

the others here will chime in soon.

its getting late and my girl is calling me to bed

cheers'
oops

Coors

Captain

Yep, just use cdx. Coated with cloth, all over-light cloth will wrap around the edges if you router/sand them to make a radius.
When attaching the new ply-you just made holes in newly sealed material!
Drill the screw holes bigger than needed, and pour in (your choice) of plastic, then pilot hole for correct screw size.

ilyo

Recruit

Thanks for the replies!!

Well just finished Day 2! Didn't get the stuff done on the list...but we made progress!

- We picked up the Epoxy resin, hardener and cloth.
- We also picked up a self rising foam to replace all the foam we removed.
- The PT plywood sat out all day in the 70 degree sunny weather..that's 2 full days it has been drying.
- We finished scrapping out the fiberglass box that was built around the bilge pump.
- We ended up pulling out all the foam and remaining plywood from underneath the fiberglass bow floor (Last picture above). We didn't want to...but we had to! And good thing we did...it was soaked!
- Buddy ended the day taking the 4" grinder to the edges of the old fiberglass.

Tomorrow:
- Sweep out and remaining bits. Scrape between any old fiberglass joints.
- Begin cutting our plywood and assembling in boat to ensure best fit.
- Once all cuts are correct, pull pieces out and epoxy resin bottom and sides.
- Reassemble in boat and begin fiberglassing all joints and tops..while also foaming underneath as we go from front to back.

That's the plan for tomorrow...if anyone believes we missed something...please chime in!! Thanks again to coors and oops for the great tips.

Coors

Captain

That pt ain't gonna be dry...

mutefruit

Recruit

Thanks for the replies!!

Well just finished Day 2! Didn't get the stuff done on the list...but we made progress!

- We picked up the Epoxy resin, hardener and cloth.
- We also picked up a self rising foam to replace all the foam we removed.
- The PT plywood sat out all day in the 70 degree sunny weather..that's 2 full days it has been drying.
- We finished scrapping out the fiberglass box that was built around the bilge pump.
- We ended up pulling out all the foam and remaining plywood from underneath the fiberglass bow floor (Last picture above). We didn't want to...but we had to! And good thing we did...it was soaked!
- Buddy ended the day taking the 4" grinder to the edges of the old fiberglass.

Tomorrow:
- Sweep out and remaining bits. Scrape between any old fiberglass joints.
- Begin cutting our plywood and assembling in boat to ensure best fit.
- Once all cuts are correct, pull pieces out and epoxy resin bottom and sides.
- Reassemble in boat and begin fiberglassing all joints and tops..while also foaming underneath as we go from front to back.

That's the plan for tomorrow...if anyone believes we missed something...please chime in!! Thanks again to coors and oops for the great tips.

pictures please:D

ilyo

Recruit

More pictures coming...forgot camera!

Well Coors...we didn't epoxy...but has now been standing up in the 75 degree sun for 3 days...and we aren't doing the epoxy resin until Sunday which would be 4 full days. How long do you think Coors? We bought it from a covered outdoor lumber yard.

DAY 3
- Spent hours scoring out little pieces of foam and crap from corners
- Cut wood and created new floor supports including the middle storage floor box
- Cut all floor pieces

We are taking a day of rest...and then back at it.

We need to put a hatch on our floor storage box. We were going to do it out of Plywood...but realize it will be too heavy. Any ideas where we can find a marine style floor hatch. We saw a couple on the basspro site...but hatch is only a foot by 2 feet. Our box is like 2.5 feet by 4 feet...so we were looking at a door a little wider.

Thanks

Coors

Captain

Months to dry; and if not weighed down/clamped good, it will start twisting. It may start that after you install it.