Force crankshafts

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Found a place in Seattle, WA that will repair Force (as well as other brands)outboard crankshafts. http://www.occcranks.com/index.html. Has anyone had any experience with them? They don't say exactly how they repair bad journals though. Some type of "tool steel rebuild process". Might be an alternative if you can't find a crank on E-bay or Craigslist.

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: Force crankshafts

I've never dealt with these guys and this situation as it relates to outboard cranks.
However it is not uncommon to magnuflux/check the crank for cracks, etc to ensure it's sound to begin with. Then what is often done is the journals are 'built back' up to oversize with somewhat specialized (spray) welding. After this the journals are then brought back down to correct size through machining processes.
This process is not uncommon in the mechanical drive industry (heavy, light and automotive). It saves having to completely remanufacture an entire crank or driveshaft and just focuses repair on the wear area.
Hope this helps a bit.
BP:)

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I was just wondering if anyone had used one of their repaired crankshafts. Anytime someone advertises a "new process" and doesn't give specifics, I'm usually a little skeptical. I came across a guy that has two complete 125HP Force power heads. Both have low compression in one of the cylinders. One also has a bad rod journal. $100 bucks for both. No ignition or electronics. Debating ( if I can convince the wife) on buying them, but I don't want to end up with pieces that I can't do anything with. Haven't been able to inspect them in person yet, but hopefully I can get at least one motor if not two out of them.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The outboard crankshaft cannot be compared to any automotive crank. The two stroke uses roller needle bearings directly onto the crankshaft journals hwereas the automotive crank 'floats' on a layer of oil over babbit bearing inserts. Thus the two stoke journal must be 'bearing race hardened' and polished to a specific finish.

Damaged crank journals must be ground undersized to remove all traces of imperfection prior to spray welding to build the journal to sufficient size as to be reground to the specific size for that application, then heat treated and polished per spec.

OCC is one of the two crankshops that I use.

brandonv

Seaman Apprentice

I have an OCC repaired crank in my Force 120. Craftsmanship looks excellent. I also know of a local (reputable) shop that uses them and swears by them.

PM me. I have some info that might interest you.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

That's good to know. Seems that they are a reputable shop. Now if I can convince my wife.......