1966 Glastron

raulbadillo

Cadet
I am just wondering, I am restoring a 66 Glastron and all I got left is the painting. I was told to gel coat it but thats like 4K and I dont want to spend that much. Is gel coating a fiberglass boat the only option? Can I be pointed in the right direction in detail? Im lost and on a deadline. Thank you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1966 Glastron

this one was done with gloss rustoleum, rolled on with a 3 inch roller. the pic upside down, was a first coat. notice the tasha prints in the paint.

150boat003.jpg

150boat002.jpg

150boat001.jpg

rustoleumjob001.jpg

newboatandmerc003.jpg

raulbadillo

Cadet
Re: 1966 Glastron

tasshas, i like your dog. I have one as well, his name is Texan, copper colored siberian husky. And I like your boat in the pics. Now, if I paint my boat in the manner that you did will it be safe from water penetration? Can you link or tell me where to buy the paint and what to ask for when I get to the store? Brands? Types of rollers? I am very very new to boats and dont wanna do something wrong. Did you sand down the boat and how much sanding did you do? just roughen up the base paint or actually sand it all off. I am wanting the same color scheme as you except in a dark red bottom. I will post pics as I could use some advice. I could really use your expertise if your ok with me asking so much questions. I have a 66 merc 500 and I will need to remove it. Is this a hard task? Can two people lift it? This boat runs like a champ, very very strong in the water so I am eager to get her done as summer is very close.