73 Johnson Motor Help

JesseNKim

Cadet
i am trying to either locate or find out what part number i need or model number for my motor i want to add tril and tilt but the motor has never had tilt and trim and im wondering if they were made for this motor its a 73 johnson with 65 hp and powershift II and loop charged BY THE WAY was this a good motor i have had it for some time and never had a big problem other than breaking a throttle cable in half from jamming down on take off racing my brother in law (LOL MY 65 HP BEAT HIS MAXXUM WITH 120 FORCE LOL) im just wondering was there anything to look out for on these motors im unaware of and how do you lync and sync the motor i just rebuilt carbs and fuel pump because its been sitting for 2 years Getting ready to change plugs and lower unit oil now?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 Johnson Motor Help

In 1973 there were Power Tilt kits available for the 65HP models. [Edit:] #172670 Power tilt and trim was used on the long shaft models, but is difficult to find new.

You could probably find one of the tilt only units at sea-way.com. Part numbers are 172137 for the short shaft motor or 172509 for the long shaft model.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 Johnson Motor Help

BTW, if you have one, you also have to remove the tilt assist cylinder that you have and replace it with a shock type cylinder if you switch to power.