Water in oil

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice
Okay guys, I got some bad news today and I really bummed. Me and my buddy just bought this boat this year. 88 Renken with a 4.3 Mervcuriser Alpha one. We took it to our mechanic and got it winterized and looked over in January but was concerned it hadn't been winterized before. He said as far as he could tell in Jan it looked okay and they winterized it put a new impeller etc... and told us we may have gotten lucky.

Anyway - he recommended a tune up on the boat before we took it out this spring. Just dropped it off on Thursday and go the call he changed everything plugs, wires, water fuel seperator etc... and then told me I want to give you a heads up as I am concenred becasue when he changed the oil there was water in there. He said the only way we could test was to run it to warm tempatures under load and see if water is geting into the block. He said it's a 50/50 shot of it being okay but said since it wasn't winterized (before), he is really worried. Anyway - i was reading some other posts and I have heard of exhaust manifolds leaking water and casuing mily oil. My question is can I run it in my driveway to test it and are there any ways to trouble shoot water getting into the oil other than a cracked block before I have to make a decision to replace the motor? How could I tell if it is a manifold issue?

Thanks guys.
Andrew

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in oil

Drain & pressure test the manifolds & block with compressed air by blocking off the appropriate ports & listen.......;)

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

pretty simple to test manifolds. if they are good, also simple to pull intake and look for a crack in the lifter valley. this is the most common spot these crack.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

I'd pressure test it 1st,.... Just to see Which way to Go.....

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to put the muffs on and see if it gets water in the oil. Also, worse case scenario, will a Merc 3.0L bolt into the alpha one? I am thinking yes. Also if I wanted to go the cheap route what year GM truck engine would you look for it to bolt in. Thanks

fd232

Cadet

Ever find out if your engine is bad?? I have the same issue with my 1998 4.3l merc. I ran it in my driveway for an hour with no signs of water in the oil with the exception of a little steam and water droplets on the oil filler cap. I hope that the steam is from any residual water that was in the oil that did not get removed. I have been told that condensation may be where is came from, but I am going to try to pressure test it when I get a chance. Let me know how your problem works out........I had a similar post last week.