Rectifier Help

captain413

Cadet
I was wondering if a rectifier would cause an engine not to spark? I know that it converts A/C to D/C, for charging puposes but don't know if it assists sparking. It is on an 73 Johnson 85 H.P. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Rectifier Help

Rectifier has nothing to do with ignition spark, but a charged battery does.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the rectifier has been damaged, and if the rectifier's internal wiring fuses, battery voltage can reach the ignition and damage the ignition components. Similarly, fused wiring can ground the ignition and cause problems.

The easiest way to check for rectifier problems with the ignition system is to disconnect it from the terminal block and see if the problem goes away.

The rectifier plays no part in your ignition system unless it is bad.

The black and yellow wire that runs to your powerpack from the ignition switch gounds the powerpack when you turn the switch to "off". If that wire is grounded along the system, or if the ignition switch is bad and grounds the black and yello wire, you would not get spark.

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

did 73 still have the ign safety circuit?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There is a neutral start switch in the remote control and also one at the engine. Either one can prevent the engine from cranking, but will not stop the ignition from firing.

captain413

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response guys. I will disconnect the rectifier and check the ignition switch and see if that works, thanks again.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same engine, and went through the same problems.

Check resistance on the input to your amp, trigger input should be 8.5 ohms
some trouble shoting matrix's say thay are good betwen 8 and 12 ohms

there wil be two input wires on the top of the amp and two on the bottom.

If you have a DVA meter or DVA attachment for your DVM meter you should be getting 150VAC while cranking the engine on your trigger inputs

Output to your coils should be 150 to 200VAC

the rectifier can cause the engine not to get spark if it goes bad, nothing to do with the circuit but the trouble shooting matrix says to remove the rectifier when trouble shooting the ignition.

also the engine needs to turn at 300 rom to produce good voltages, remove the spark plugs this allows the engine to spin faster with no back pressure from cylinders for ignition troubleshooting.

try unplugging the RED connector at the engine, this will eliminate the remote control ignition switch also, sometimes the switch goes bad and causes this problem, you will need to jump the ignition at the starter terminal with a set of battery cables if you remove the red connector

*NOTE* the engine can start and run if you remove the red connector so be prepared to choke it to shut it off