burning regulator

stoked not

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My voltage regulator on my 115 HP 1997 Mecury seems to be burning. It has a burning smell of plastic of rubber. What could cause this. <br />Just to comfirm this is a regulator. It has two yellow wires and one red wire coming from it's connecting wireing terminals. It's a suuare box around 1.5 inches with a brass color heatt fins. It's located on the top of the engine, just in front of the flywheel.(looking at it from the cockpit of the boat.<br />Thx

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: burning regulator

They do go bad, But I would check the battery 1st. It may be shorted or have a dead cell.<br /><br />corm

stoked not

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Sears Marine Batterry is less than 1 yr old. Is there any voltage reading I can check?

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check to see if the voltage at the battry increases when the motor is running. 12.5 V<br />not running 13.5-14 running.<br />The battery could still be at fault,just cause it's new doesn't mean it's not bad. Thats why they have warrantys on everything.
smile.gif
The regulators do run warm however,but I don't think you should be able to smell it. Unless you have a nose like a friend of mine, He can tell you what perfume a woman has on upwind in a wind storm.
smile.gif
<br />...have fun...corm

stoked not

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advise. This web site rocks.<br /> <br />I just messured my battery and it only reads 6 volts. I just put on my charger, and then I will have it tested. Two quick questions. <br /><br />1)Why would the regulator get hot just because the battery is defective?<br /><br />2)Is there anything on the motor that could cause the battery not to hold a charge? Ie. rectifier?

stoked not

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CORM,<br />I just had my battery tested. It's good. Any reason why my voltage regulator was burning up?