Prop Width?

mrainey889

Seaman Apprentice
Could someone here give me some insight as to how prop width affects performance? Lots is said about prop pitch, but I never seem to hear about prop width, nor do I see any prop calculators that factor in this variable.

Thanks,
Mike

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Prop Width?

Ayuh,.....

Diameter is determined by Blade Design,.....

Buy your prop by Pitch,.... The Engineers that designed it took care of the Diameter......

mrainey889

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.....

Diameter is determined by Blade Design,.....

Buy your prop by Pitch,.... The Engineers that designed it took care of the Diameter......

Thanks Bond-o, however that was not quite the answer I was looking for. Check out:

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Mercruiser/155-210_HP_(1986-and-Newer)_21.00-Pitch_Propellers/448/?**********=576768365&*******=770933847

This is a list of 21p props that will fit my boat. There you will see many props listed, some with identical diameters, many with different diameters, even among the same manufacturer. Some differ by as much as an inch. The larger diameter props all are slightly more expensive (as little as $10-$11 in some instances) than their smaller diameter counterparts.

What I would like to know is, how does the diameter affect performance in a same manufacturer, same pitch prop? Does a greater diameter equal a better hole shot or higher top speed? Is there a trade-off, i.e. better hole shot but lower top end? Does the greater rotational mass of a larger diameter prop take more horsepower to swing (my personal guess, but I've been wrong more often than right on my boat related guesses)?

Thanks,
Mike

Bondo

Staff member

Does a greater diameter equal a better hole shot or higher top speed? Is there a trade-off, i.e. better hole shot but lower top end? Does the greater rotational mass of a larger diameter prop take more horsepower to swing

Ayuh,..... No,..... Maybe........ Sometimes,.... Never......

It's All about Blade Design,.......

Is it an Elephant Ear,..??
A Cleaver,..??
A Chopper,..??
How much Rake,..??
Etc,....
Etc,.....;)

mrainey889

Seaman Apprentice

Interesting. Sorry about beating a dead horse...I am just trying to wrap my brain around prop technology to figure out what I should or should not do with my own boat. Seems like "what prop should I use?" is one of the most common questions on earth by boaters. I will give some of the various manufacturers a call and see what they have to say.

Thanks again,
Mike

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Let's try this again. You must first realize that any series of props, no matter who the manufacturer is, are designed for a certain range of engines with various HP ratings and lower unit sizes. Therefore, you won't see a 10 inch diameter prop in a list of props for a 150 HP engines. Now then -- when dealing with your particular engine, the props you saw in the list will all work on your engine. Note that the props are from different manufacturers. They therefore are different "designs". In other words a 21P prop from manufacturer "A" may not, and generally will not be the same "diameter" as a 21P prop form manufacturer "B" and very likely it will not perform the same. That 1/4 - 3/4 inch difference in diameter is due to the design of the prop and really has little to do with performance. It can, but generally has far less effect than a change in pitch or prop design. Which one do you need or want -- its a crap shoot. You optimize your setup and then play with props, or you optimize the prop and then work on setup to get the best out of whatever you buy. You can't optimize a setup from a chart. You can get lucky however, in that someone may come by that has done all the testing with your exact boat, load, and motor combination. Don't hold your breath though.