Installin bow mount troling motor on flat bottom boat

bigge8882

Recruit
I need help I have a 16ft landau flat bottom I want to put a bow mount motor on it I had one on previously but it had to be replaced. I cannot get under the front deck to tighten the bolts that hold the motor to the bow. I was wanting to see if anyone had any suggestions on how to do this i just cannot reach the bolts to tighten them under the bow.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Installin bow mount troling motor on flat bottom boat

there is a special fastener made for that application, but my mind is blank to the name. search this forum it is here.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I think Tashasdaddy is referring to "Togglers". They're basically a toggle bolt with a plastic collar that holds the wing under the deck. They work great.
If you boat in saltwater, use stainless steel Togglers available at marine stores.

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Google "rivnuts" . ;)

You could aslo try cutting an access hole , maybe put in a hatch for storage , also .

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the reason that you can not reach them because the deck is enclosed? Or is it that there is flotation foam in the way or that you cannont fit a wrench in because of the rake of the hull? I own a 16' Landau and will be installing a bow mount motor soon. My deck is open but there is limited space and foam. Would stainless steel self tapping bolts work?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Would stainless steel self tapping bolts work?
Yes, for awhile. They'll eventually work loose and pull out. I used them last season for a month (until it got cold) and they held OK. Over the winter I took things apart and replaced them with togglers thru an aluminium block. Tight as a drum now.

OnNewTrailer006.jpg