75 Johnson 6hp misfiring? Video

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Similar post to my last one so bear with me. I took it out today and it ran fine for about 40 minutes all the way to the canal where I slowed to idle speed for about 5 minutes. Then as I come out of the canal and back up to full speed it starts sputtering (see video). Luckily I brought the camera for just such an occurance. Is this likely a dirty carb, an ignition issue or something else entirely? Thanks for your help!

By the way, sorry the video is sideways and in the very beginning you can hear me throttle it up to full and thats where it is the duration of the video. Obviously not running like it should.

Thanks

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pftB6TAzDKQ

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75 Johnson 6hp misfiring? Video

Are you running J6C Champion plugs in that enngine, gapped at .030? I watched/listened to all four videos but really couldn't put my finger on anything.

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, Champion J6C's gapped at .030 - I checked that right when I got back. Another thing I should have mentioned is that it only does it when in gear. I can rev it up in neutral with no problem but under a load th sputtering begins.

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for inserting the video.

No, I've never taken the flywheel off and from what I can tell there is no exhaust leak. Could an exhaust leak have something to do with it?