Oil Leak from Speedo Hole in Alpha One

Roosendaal

Recruit
Took my '95 Bayliner, 4.3 Alpha One to the lake this weekend. Noticed before I took it out of storage there was some gear lube at the bottom of the lower unit. Figured it was just some my sloppiness when I winterized, so just wiped it off and went boating.

Took it out of the water and now that everything is dry, getting new gear oil down there. Looks as if it is coming from the tiny speedo hole up front and dripping down from there. I'm guessing there's a bad seal there? Speedo still works (as good as it ever did.)

Looked at my book and it appears there's a bunch of little parts in that area along with a couple of seals. Looks like a fairly simple process to remove the lower unit without any special tools (Am I wrong?)

Once I get it off, what am I looking for? Will it be obvious? Any other easy stuff I should do while I've got the lower unit off? (Assuming someone doesn't talk me out of doing this myself.)

Thanks for your help on this!

Steve Roosendaal
Colorado Springs

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil Leak from Speedo Hole in Alpha One

Welcome to iboats......:)
You need to drain your drive & pressure test it....;)
Ar eyou sure it is coming from the speedo pitot & not the exhaust cavity drain hole?....:confused:
Wheen you pull the drive, check the bellows, gimbal bearing for smooth rotation & lube the u joints.....;)
You should also check your alignment with an alignment tool.....;)

bishop1976

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Oil Leak from Speedo Hole in Alpha One

Mine was the water pump seal but you still need to check yours thoroughly.