fiberglass repair of a hole

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
i did some grinding yesterday on the hull and found bondo used for a repair of a hole. it still leaked. i want to fix it with fiberglass. i got a repair kit from walmart. i was going to use the epoxy out of it to seal up the edges of the stringer and use the fiberglass for something else. will that cloth be good to use to fix this hole or would i want something heavier

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: fiberglass repair of a hole

not sure if i follow you correctly....but if your fixing from behind...(in the hull)

you should use a matt product first...(in contact with the hull)...

the thin cloth you get at wally world is ok after...just use multiple layers...each larger than the last.....

how big is the hole?.......

and btw....bondo has been used in boats quite a bit...but as a body filler...not uasually as a hole filler.....a hole filler is uasually a peanut butter type substance

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

it is about the size of 1 coffee cup wide

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it is about the size of 1 coffee cup wide

tee hee....find out who did the repair and remove his capabilities to reproduce.

it can be used as a skim coat...but never on a hole that big....bondo will even saturate on a auto repair.....

on boats...a skim coat of bondo is uasually protected with a layer of really good primer and special paint....espically below the water line

Coors

Captain

NO BONDO; that poly has no place on a boat.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

NO BONDO; that poly has no place on a boat.

the fiberglass repair manual, and runabout renovation.....both say it can be used.....

but i agree with you, i think theres better stuff to use

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

thats what i was thinking too. ive heard of bondo on metal of an auto but never on a boat. the bondo i found in the boat was like playdoh it came up with my finger nail. i have used it on an auto and it gets rock hard. tommorow im going to go get some mat and start the repair. and see if i can find some 1708 for the stringer. have a good day

Coors

Captain

On an auto, it is covered with paint, and not under water.
Since the things I have learned in here, the rest of the restoration-body work on my 70 Duster will be epoxy.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

On an auto, it is covered with paint, and not under water.
Since the things I have learned in here, the rest of the restoration-body work on my 70 Duster will be epoxy.

ahhhh a fellow mopar man.

isnt that rather hard to sand?......i guess it just depends on the origonal application...how well its done...(close to perfect...less sanding)