Attaching Plywood Washboards To Fiberglass?

maxum247

Lieutenant
Attaching plywood washboards to fiberglass? In the pictures you can see that there is about a 1 1/2 inch lip to attach the plywood to. I plan to use 5200 to secure the plywood to the fiberglass lip after everything is framed and then glass the washboards with 10 oz. cloth. Does this sound about right?
I don't have the thickness to us screws in the fiberglass permanently and would like to keep the washboards looking as factory as possible with a nice rounded edge without using a molding on the outside if I don't have to.
I'm thinking three 3/4 in. x 6 in. plywood frames down each side of the boat bedded in 5200 floor to washboard for support on either side and then glassed to the sides of the boat doubling as rod holders etc.
Boat is 20 ft long and will have somewhere between a 2 and 4 foot bowcap. So with the stern decked over around the splashwell I would probably be looking at about 12 foot or less of actual washboards down either side about six inches or so wide.
These are rough figures subject to some change, trying to get some idea of what might work well!

Attachments

• Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 044.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Attaching Washboards To Fiberglass?

max... i dont know what a washboard is?

can you explain?

maxum247

Lieutenant

max... i dont know what a washboard is?

can you explain?

Washboard, the part running the length of the sides of the boat you step on a wooden boat when entering or exiting the boat, used readily on wooden fishing boats attached to the bowcap of the boat.

Here you go oops washboard or I guess on a fiberglass boat there called a gunale I think!

Attachments

• Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Attaching Plywood Washboards To Fiberglass?

Actually, they're called gunwales (pronounced gunnel) on all boats :)

washboard must be a local or regional name?