starts in gear

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok im down to my last wiring correction i have a 1977 sea ray with a mercruiser 233 with a pre alpha outdrive. i want to stop it from starting in gear i have a white wire and a what looks like a brown wire coming out of the shifter box on the dash. i was told the white wire goes to the starter side of the key switch and the other wire goes to the back of the boat the other wire turns into a yellow wire when i find it. where exactly does it go on the solinoid. this is my last set of wires to fix to finely make this boat completly safe and correct. also is there any place i can get a wiring diagram for this boat? no matter how i hook this wire up the boat still stars in gear. thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: starts in gear

If your holding those wires and it`s still starting in gear someone bypassed the safety switch already. look for 2 yellow with a red stripe wires put together.

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

where would one bypass the switch under the dash or back at the engine?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Start at your ign. switch.you should find a red wire(batt hot), a purple wire(ign. on, power to gauges,etc.), and a yellow with a red stripe.
Follow it. It should be connected to the same color wire going out the harness to the engine.Should you find them spliced together, break that connection.Motor should not start in gear now.Attach both yellow wires to the wires coming from the control box.If the control box switch is working ,motor should turn over in "N" and not turn over in "F" or "R"

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I'm gonna guess that if the neutral safety switch was bypassed, then it was malfunctioning.....
I'd test the leads for continuity in neutral before messing with the yellow/red wire....;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget, he has the pre BIA color codes for his wiring, and they are different. Purple used to be white, yellow/red strip used to be just solid yellow, etc.

Wiringcolorcode.png

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys and don s my local marine guy showed me the same chart. my biggest problem is im collor blind and getting help is next to nothing. i just dont know how this boat made it all last summer. i never paid much attention to these things cause it started and always got me out and back. but now my daughter has her liscense and she can handle it very well so it give me reason to go through everything and double check and what a mess. i will work on it agian today. thanks agian.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Have your daughter help you with the wiring colors, she is not color blind......;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here are the wiring diagrams for you engine and instruments.
Might want to save them and print them off cause I won't keep them very long.
I made them big so they are easier to read.

Instrument Panel 1

Instrument panel 2

Engine

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i wish it was that easy my daughter doesnt live with me. thanks do s that will help alot and i did save them.

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks everyone for their help. it was easier then what i though there was a jumper wire run from the ing switch back to the solinoid as soon as i found it and took it off and hook up the wire from the shifter it worked perfect. now i can finish putting it back together and get out fishing. thanks agian.